University of Washington - Demoralizing. | Glassdoor

"Demoralizing."

Current Employee - Student Office Assistant in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Student Office Assistant in Seattle, WA

Pros

Flexible hours for school
A decent amount of free catering food
Nice facility
Adequate air conditioning
Clean carpet
Good functioning microwave
Free coffee and tea
Easy, mindless work.

Cons

The program managers are unreasonable; have absolutely NO patience
The company is highly inefficient in the way they spend tax payers' money; for instance, I prepare used printing papers to be recycled as scratch paper at 1 ream/hr when 6 reams of paper costs $12. I am being paid $13/hr. Totally inefficient and demeaning.
Managers do not apologize for mistake after chewing you out.
Have absolutely no management experience. FYI: I am a management major at a premiere institution.
Manager is disrespectful, rude, and incompetent. I've had four other bosses in the past and they all love me (even this one) but I have never disliked someone as much as this one.
Manager totally micromanages and uses time inefficiently by lecturing employees for lengthy amount of time over miniscule issues.
Provides no training and refuses to explain task adequately. "How to book" is out of date and instructions are poorly written with overwhelming, unnecessary information.
Does not provide positive feedback ever.
Cramped cubicle (3 students in 1).
Does not take feedback well will get defensive. Classic case of poor managerial skills.
Lack technological skills and have me spending my time writing instructions for simple programs such as MS Word/Excel, Adobe Acrobat, etc. Will ask dumb questions such as "why do we have to do it that way?" Answer: I don't know maybe because this is not part of my job description?!

Advice to Management

Hire new program manager. Manager is unqualified to be managing people and is costing the company and the community time and money.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Washington

1. "fine environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

relaxed, beautiful campus, interesting and intelligent people, professional development classes available,

Cons

lifers continuing job without evolving

2. "Great"

Current Employee - Student in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Student in Seattle, WA

Pros

The main photographer is incredibly kind and will work with you in order to make sure all tasks and projects are completed correctly.

Cons

The position is only available to students that have the option to participate in the federal work study program unfortunately