University of Washington - Grants and contracts | Glassdoor

"Grants and contracts"

I have been working at University of Washington full-time

Pros

Nice and supportive coworkers
Public admin service quality in delivery is high

Cons

Slow at times
Low productivity
Fols taking advantage over politics

Advice to Management

Get some management skills, less lip service in mid management and have a social life outside of work

Other Employee Reviews for University of Washington

1. "Beats looking for a job in this market!"

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant

Pros

It is a very fun work environment with plenty of opportunities to meet professionals in the real world and build an extremely strong network. Plus free tuition is nice!

Cons

Still need some loans to be able to reasonable live, but what I get paid for my job is very nice.

Advice to Management

Management is great and have been more supportive than any other place I have worked before. Hours can be very long as a grad student, but I am glad they understand that.

2. "Interesting technology, horrible politics"

Current Employee - Data Analyst
    Current Employee - Data Analyst

Pros

Excellent benefits, generally a culture of discovery and learning, as well as bright co-workers has made working at the U a positive experience. I have enjoyed many years in various roles in University computing and worked with leading-edge (and bleeding-edge) technologies in a number of roles - systems analysis, data analysis, operating systems management, etc. It is very satisfying to work with creative, intelligent IT professionals on new projects and to build infrastructure for teaching and research; certainly laudable efforts.

Cons

The last 20 months at the University have been increasingly difficult. Top leadership's gross mismanagement of computing budgets resulted in a massive layoff which was unevenly implemented (including occasional instances where personal preferences and vendettas ruled).

Since that layoff (May '08), thin staffing, no training, demoralized co-workers, rumors, and state and University budget cuts have contributed to a continuing atmosphere of instability. Different departments have different levels of angst, but my sub-department was particularly affected, and the pain and feeling of instability continue, even though the interim (now permanent) VP of computing has done everything in her power to help stabilize the organization as a whole. There is more competition and less collaboration - while my job is probably stable, it is NOT a comfortable place to work.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people! Stop hoarding information. Get the right people in a room together to discuss problems. Stop marginalizing and siloing people whose work you don't understand.