University of Washington - Great incubator for tech startup | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Washington

"Great incubator for tech startup"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Very nice researcher environment
2) One of the best places to meet and collaborate with great people, researchers, innovators
3) If your dream is to have a startup, this is one of the best places
4) Smell great ideas in the air
5) Very nice health insurance
6) Lots of great tech talks, seminars and events
7) Lots of workshops with Microsoft researchers

Cons

1) The Gym fee should be waived for postdoctoral associate (and their spouses too)
2) Super expensive parking space
3) I hate rain here...
4) should have more Friday-night activities (e.g., free movies) for students.
5) I work too hard (but I love to) compared to my salary

Other Employee Reviews for University of Washington

1. "Be prepared to be treated like a child."

Former Employee - CLUE Tutor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - CLUE Tutor in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Gained experience in teaching
    Got paid over minimum wage

Cons

The rate that I was offered was withdrawn after I had accepted employment, and they gave me $5 less/hr than they said they would.
    Also, don't expect HR to help you. As a student, their main goal is to squash your argument rather than attempt to reconcile issues between the employee and employer.

2. "Great place for students, not so much for staff; overworked, underpaid, and under-represented."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's a very active and bubbly campus life and students seem to really enjoy it. There's always lots of activities, plays, shows, and events to attend, and as a staff member you can get a pretty nice discount to go to these.

Cons

The politics more than ruin this place. Sometimes the politics make it downright impossible. There's plenty of diversity in the lower levels but certainly not in the upper management. Like a lot of typical government offices, the harder you work, the more work they dump on you, without the compensation to even it out. Furthermore, don't look to the union to help or protect you. I often felt marginalized, with nobody to reach out to. Nowhere have I been around so many people and felt so lonely.

As for the "opportunities" the upper management knows it's cheaper to move people sideways than up. They encourage you, from the beginning, to look around at other job opportunities on campus, and hardly a word about how to rise up the ranks in your own office. Far too much favoritism and politics in a place that is meant to help students.

Advice to Management

How do you tell politicians not to be so political? It's like telling a donkey to not be a donkey. I'm sorry, but this was a terribly frustrating place to work, and I have no advice to management unless they are willing to change. Unless a donkey can become a lion, I don't see that happening.