University of Washington - Good and bad at the U--staff review (not faculty) | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Washington

"Good and bad at the U--staff review (not faculty)"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really depends on your department. Overall it is challenging to overcome the bureaucracy and feel like you can really get things done. Quality of life is great. Out the door at 5 on the dot. Great benefits=golden handcuffs.

Cons

Very siloed environment. Initiative is not encouraged or rewarded. Many people have stayed too long, don't want to lose their benefits and don't have much drive.

Advice to Management

Open yourselves up to change. Utilize performance reviews to acknowledge good performance and work to improve sub-par work. Encourage employees to develop within their roles.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Washington

1. "good for engineering"

Pros

It has fantastic environment for software engineering students with many job and intern opportunities in big IT companies and startups.

Cons

People are a little bit realistic. School funding lacks balance between science, arts and engineering

2. "Good and relax working experience"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great and nice teammates and flexible time schedule are provided by supervisor. I have work-study balance and my supervisor told me I'm totally free to schedule my own time sheet.

Cons

I think the downside is it's not a competitive environment like industrial company. It's good for students to work as part-time but not a good start point in career path.