University of Washington - Not a great experience. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for University of Washington

"Not a great experience."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at University of Washington full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was extremely excited when I received a job offer from UW. I've heard great things about being a UW employee and after doing some research on this site, I saw all the positive reviews and thought it was going to be a great place to work. I was wrong! After a month, I submitted my resignation. I can't wait to be done working here! To be fair, many of my co-workers have told me to explore opportunities in other departments because things can be very different depending on the area you work in. Maybe I just joined the wrong team and the job wasn't a great fit for me. Either way, my advice would be ask A LOT of questions during the interview process to ensure you don't end up in this situation!

Cons

Does not pay well, archaic systems, unnecessary processes, monotonous work, controlling managers (micro-managing!!!), little autonomy, not a lot of flexibility (regarding work schedule or time-off), extremely formal, tense culture. In a nutshell, this place operates a lot like many companies did 10 years ago. They need to step it up and get with the times!

Advice to Management

Hire managers that will engage and inspire their employees, invest in new systems and put leaders through change management and LEAN training.

Other Employee Reviews for University of Washington

1. "I'm a graduate student at UW"

I have been working at University of Washington part-time

Pros

The culture here is very liberal.

Cons

Salary for on campus job as well as TA are very low.

"Entering UW as a Temp Not Recommended"

Former Contractor - Administrative Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Administrative Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at University of Washington as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's possible to build a reference base if you try moving into something permanent. Benefits apply the same to temps as they do everyone else, and they are quite good.

Cons

Based on my own experiences over 12 years working periodically at the UW in several different departments:

• As a temp, or working in a fixed duration position, it is more likely than not that you will be routinely second-guessed, over-supervised, backstabbed, and generally unsupported by management and fellow workers. UW classified staff culture can include: Passive aggression and blatant exclusion, glacial bureaucracy, dated and chronically malfunctioning office equipment, and even explicit sexism of the "women are good at this, men not so much" variety. Some departments are not as bad as others, but generally, working as a temp for the UW is demeaning and soul-sucking. And if you file a complaint, don't expect Human Resources or other authorities to be honest, fair, or very effective at resolving conflicts.

• For one of the country's most expensive and fastest growing cities, the pay is a joke.

• If you are a women, you would be well advised to not walk alone past dark anywhere on campus, some areas not any time of day.

• If you live 10 or more miles from the UW, plan on two hours minimum of daily commuting on a bus, walking or riding a bicycle, or competing for free, but exceedingly scarce, all day parking spaces a mile or further from your department. That, or you can choose to spend up to $1500 a year for an on-campus staff parking pass, that may or may not be reasonable walking distance from your department.

Advice to Management

There is probably no point in advising management, as they appear to be systemically immune to reprimands of any real or lasting consequences.