Unum - Worst. Company. Ever. | Glassdoor

"Worst. Company. Ever."

Pros

IF you want to be treated like cattle and treated like a "number" then this is the place for you! If you like to be treated like a child at age 35 then this is the place for you. If you want to transport back to high school where there are cliques and teacher's pets then this is the place for you!

Cons

I feel like I was duped by accepting a position at Unum. So many promises were made during the interview process, only to find out the recruiters who interview you and provide the information about pay and promotions clearly have no idea what the specific position entails. But I had heard from a friend of a friend it was a good place to work. Worst decision ever. I have vast experience in sales, service, management and could have added value to my team and my manager but it is seen as a threat to their authority and position (which we were constantly reminded hinged on our performance and us not rocking the boat). Upper management is invisible and I was actually reprimanded once for presenting an idea and not clearing it with my manager first because she wanted to so-present it (take credit).

Advice to Management

Urge your lower level managers to LISTEN to employees - just because someone might be in a lower level position to get their foot in door does not mean they do not have valid experience and ideas and input to give. Don't make lower level managers an obstacle to growth. But I am sure this will fall on deaf ears since most of the company meetings I had to sit through where we were force fed how great it is, how much they care about employees and their growth , etc. were wrought with employee eye-rolling and "yeah rights".

Other Employee Reviews for Unum

1. "Unum is a great company, it prides itself on being more like a small family company. Great benefits and very stable."

Current Employee - Systems Analyst II
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst II

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

very friendly work environment, since the outsourcing days have ended technology is advancing to where it should be. Very stable company with great benefits.

Cons

Like any large company the bureaucracy does drag somewhat, but it is not a major problem. Just lends to the extra paperwork etc, that has now become part of the job.

2. "Striving to be a competitor in the insurance industry."

I have been working at Unum full-time

Pros

There are many opportunities for growth and development. There are competitive benefits including a pension which is almost unheard of today.

Cons

The internal technology of Unum is limited and frustrating. Several years after merging the companies together serious issues remain that are hindering the company's competitive advantage.