Unum - Had some good experiences, some note so good | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Unum

"Had some good experiences, some note so good"

Current Employee - Senior Disability Benefits Specialist in Worcester, MA
Current Employee - Senior Disability Benefits Specialist in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits package with generous paid time off

Cons

"Managers In Training" need much more experience before they should be allowed to lead teams

Advice to Management

Speak to your front line with more openness and sincerity

Other Employee Reviews for Unum

"Cut throat working environment"

Former Employee - Lead Disability Benefits Specialist in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Lead Disability Benefits Specialist in Glendale, CA

I worked at Unum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous benefit package and decent pay. They serve free good quality coffee to employees and frequently have cake!

Cons

Unfriendly atmosphere in the office I worked at. Most employees under constant stress due unrealistically heavy work load. Management is cut throat and targets employees for firing rather than assisting them to succeed. The company was found guilty of closing claims by quota a few years ago. Since then they were under strict guidelines from DOI. They made workers go through unbelievable hoops to get their work product out. The "close the claim" mindset was still present among some of the management.

Advice to Management

Grow a heart and get rid of the sharks in middle management.

"A Mixed Bag"

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, ME

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation and generous time off

Cons

Over the last three to four years the company has scrambled to change things constantly to fix and adjust to the economy. As a result it's been a 100% over kill on results at any cost and middle leaders have put an huge burden and pressure on employees to do more with less and be happy about it. Candor is not a reality at all. The middle management leaders will take a professionally candid comment in the appropriate setting and use that to decide who stays and who goes when downsizing. I've seen it happen and it definately makes people put their heads down and just work as much as they can to avoid being "off the list". The comments about having 7 manager in 7 years is reality in many of the operations and benefits areas as reorgs and strategies change every 6-12 months and you have to stop and start on your development, your goals and revalidate your results with new leadership. this is driving a very unhealthy competitive environment where employees are backstabing others to try to ensure they are viewed as a top employee. In most cases meeting goals can mean no raise. And to meet goals you work well over 40 hours a week. Every cent for development has been taken away for Managers and below. I buy my own paper to ensure I have some. A lot of talent is being lost due to new managers coming in and listening to others opinions. So the key is to stay below the radar and keep your comments about improvements to yourself or your immediate family.

Advice to Management

People managements needs to be just as high as a priority in Operations as results are. People need to feel valued and they'll go that extra mile. Militant Leadership will not get us to exceed our goals. It's really scary on the ground, I wish you could really see that.