Unum - Good Pay. Interesting work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Unum

"Good Pay. Interesting work"

Current Employee - Intern in Chattanooga, TN
Current Employee - Intern in Chattanooga, TN

Pros

Great projects
Insightful and pleasant manager
Great opportunities
Opportunity for professional development
Overall a great summer internship experience. Included field office visit in Atlanta

Cons

Chattanooga in not my favorite city
Atmosphere is more casual than I desired
Sometimes ran out of work
 It would have been better if I could have worked for 3 months instead of 2.

Advice to Management

I could have used a little more analytical work but I know it was hard finding projects that were both not over my head but still challenging.

Other Employee Reviews for Unum

"Unum - Lack of leadership and consistency"

Current Employee - Senior Disability Benefits Specialist in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Disability Benefits Specialist in Worcester, MA

Pros

Time off
    Coworkers
    Benefits package is adequate

Cons

Processes keep changing, no input sought from those people actually performing the essential work duties
    Management does not know how to develop performance
    Management pays attention only to favorite employees, ignores the rest
    Management does not communicate professionally
    Senior management has no clue what directors are doing or how they treat employees
    Advancement and promotions tied to whether someone likes the employee, now how the employee performs

Advice to Management

Advice to senior management
    1. Get rid of most of the directors, hire people who know how to lead and develop
    2. Stop getting rid of the most talented people (because you neglect them) and fire the incompetent ones
    3. Stop promoting people who the Worcester management team don't even have faith or confidence in
    4. Teach your directors how to manage stress effectively - every single month during the last week they freak out, take their frustrations and anxieties out on the employees and manipulate/pressure the employees to close claims inappropriately - it is getting worse and Worcester senior management just protects their directors rather than doing anything about it

"A good place for balancing work and play"

Current Employee - Software Analyst I in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Software Analyst I in Chattanooga, TN

Pros

A good place to maintain a steady career that allows one to balance work and play. The employees I worked with were generally helpful, relaxed, and friendly. Available to the employees is a well-stocked cafeteria, dining atrium, and indoor walking track.

Cons

Several levels of bureaucracy, relatively little gained in impressive experience. However, the reason I may leave is due to the fact that there is relatively little to be gained in the area of impressive resume-boosting experience for a software developer. Most of the work is basic .NET programming, primarily focusing on C#, ASP .NET, and MSSQL. This may be someone's cup of tea, but not mine.

Advice to Management

I think for what Unum is, senior management has done a good job