Urban Engineering - Project Engineer | Glassdoor

"Project Engineer"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Chantilly, VA
Former Employee - Project Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at Urban Engineering full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get the opportunity to work on a plethera of different engineering projects, as opposed to being stuck just doing one element of a plan.

Cons

Low paying firm that lures employees by promising 'all the overtime you can work' and considers the overtime a 'gift' from Urban. Unless you are at the Associate level you will be overworked and underpaid.

Advice to Management

Bring salaries to a point that matches engineering companies in the area. Appreciate the engineers you have in an effort to reduce 'turnover'. Urban has lost way too many good engineers due to keeping all profits at the Associate level and above. Reward the guys that do the grunt work to make the money.

Other Employee Reviews for Urban Engineering

1. "Good experience. Would still be there if not for personal reasons"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Urban Engineering full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I gained great experience here working on a bunch of different projects and it enabled me to pass my pe exam with no problems. I liked how I was able to work independently and manage my own projects with the direct supervision by an associate and sometimes one of the principals. I also was able to use a team of engineers and cad drafters when I needed them and never felt like there weren't enough people to get the job done. My pay seemed to be fair especially when considering bonuses and paid overtime. They pay you for all your time worked which really helped my annual salary since I probably averaged 45 hours a week so like an extra 10% or more. I left for family obligations out of the area but I don't feel like my job now is as rewarding as what I had at urban, for pay or experience.

Cons

I wish there was a little more interaction between people on different teams. At times it felt like I only knew those working directly with me. I would have liked to be more involved in business development but I had to quit just as I was starting to see more of that side of the job.

Advice to Management

Help different teams and offices seem more unified. Set goals for each employee so they know they are meeting expectations and can count on bonus at end of year.

2. "Unacceptable employee turnover at all levels"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Annandale, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Annandale, VA

I worked at Urban Engineering full-time

Pros

They offer a very flexible work schedule. This is a great place for a recent college graduate to get experience in AutoCAD and basic engineering.

Cons

Most employees are paid well below market value. They make you punch a time card like a factory worker because they don't trust you. There is no advancement opportunities because the company is not growing. This place does little to train or invest in employees and most of their software is extremely outdated. It is entirely bottom line driven with a plantation like mentality.

Advice to Management

You have the potential to be a good company. Just look at Gary Bowman who left your firm over 20 years ago and now has offices all over the country.