Urban Outfitters - Great enviroment.and employee appreciation. Favoritism is obvious, but you expect that from a retail store. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Urban Outfitters

"Great enviroment.and employee appreciation. Favoritism is obvious, but you expect that from a retail store."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

-The discounts are excellent. 40% off really makes a difference in prices.
-Laid-back enviroment
-Very lenient. You're usually allowed to take off as long as someone covers your shift!

Cons

-Favoritism is very obvious in the company. Only the coolest employees ever seem to get promoted.
-On-Call Shifts are tedious and nine times out of ten you are never needed to come in.
-Few Hours

Advice to Management

Honestly, the best management I have ever had at a retail store. There very professional and do care about there employee's. I just wish they would not hire people when there already low on hours.

Other Employee Reviews for Urban Outfitters

"Only good if you're a favorite"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

Pros

They give great employee discounts.
    There is no dress code.
    Great place to start out in retail- I've actually learned a lot compared to other retail jobs.
    It's not a hard job and I enjoyed my work.
    Opportunity for advancement within the company.

Cons

Hours are not promised. I started out with 38 hours a week and ended at 5 if I was lucky.
    Management definitely plays favorites.

Advice to Management

Like I've stated, don't play favorites. Don't patronize employees who aren't one of your favorites.Promote based on hard work AND seniority. Communicate problems with employees directly to them as soon as the issue comes up. Also, by cutting back hours, less people are on the floor to assist customers with what they need, therefore they don't get the help, and they don't buy the products. and with less associates on the floor, there are more opportunities for theft.

2. "Work hard and barely get rewarded"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, IN

Pros

The pros of working at Urban Outfitters are the people. When you're hired on, most of the time you find that just about everyone you are working with is pretty similar to you. The people get along well for the most part and that makes for the only pro of working there.

Cons

Management treats the associates like they mean nothing to the company and have no importance. The dynamic was generally not enjoyable and meant dragging myself to work every day.

Advice to Management

Remember that those working the floor are those giving you the dollars that you take home. By being a sales associate, we directly communicate with customers and maintain the aesthetics of the shop. I feel as though more compensation is deserved for those who stand 6-8 hours a day constantly interacting with customers.