Urban Science - Decent place to work, but can become tedious an uncaring. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Urban Science

"Decent place to work, but can become tedious an uncaring."

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Long Beach, CA
Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Urban Science full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work is satisfying overall and the pay is not terrible. The people are very nice. The experience is good and most of the consultants can be more knowledgeable than counterparts that work directly for automotive OEMs.

Cons

Becoming a revenue generating machine that chases every dollar with little regard for their employees and clients. Growth and progress can be difficult after a while, both financially and professionally.

Advice to Management

Please, put a little more effort into developing your people and provide them with proper career paths that will help them grow instead of plugging them in a cogs in a revenue generating machine. Care more about your clients. And when its time to pay bonuses and raises, be fair. Growing is good, but don't make your current employees pay such a huge price for your growth.

Other Employee Reviews for Urban Science

"Not worth the commute"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Urban Science full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For a developer like me, the best thing about working there was the people. Despite their general cluelessness regarding software development, Urban Science has managed to hire some very, very good people in development and QA.

Cons

This is, without a doubt, the only company I've ever worked for where it was allowed for departments to show open contempt for another department (basically, everyone for TechDev, which is now part of IT). The commute was horrendous. The company in general has flex time, but not IT.

Advice to Management

Hire people from somewhere other than General Motors.

"Fear factor-y"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Urban Science full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people who "work" there are great. Most are extremely smart and capable. I have never seen so many people who are passionate about what they do. Their work ethic is very strong. They use (for the most part) the latest technology. Most managers/HR are very approachable and genuinely care about their employees. The new environment is very nice.

Cons

Even though managers/HR care, they normally are not empowered to help. The work load is extremely high because the company runs very lean. This causes a lot of stress. Commitments have been made (normally by those not doing the work) and Urban Science does not want to break a commitment...to clients. (Any commitments to employees are fair game though.) On the software development side, the culture has become extremely rigid. Strict working hours, attire, development process, time tracking, etc. Additionally, the company has become very top heavy. There are layers and layers of management (who don't do any real work) and less and less "grunts". However, the work keeps coming in. There has been high turn over in the past year or so even with employees who have been there for 5, 10, 15+ years. Lastly, to add to the stress, there is a "fear factor" that exists. Management seems to focus more on the negative/what didn't work instead of the positives/what is working. And the negative focus is just to figure out who is to blame for it as opposed to how can we fix it. There are a lot of employees who feel that they are just one mistake away from being fired. It's unfortunate.

Advice to Management

I heard a great manager say the following to one of his employee and I think Urban Science could learn from this. "Let me worry about the bad news. I will report the bad news. You only report the good news." Management should take responsibility for "the bad" and employees should get credit for "the good".