VCA - Average rating for an average company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for VCA

"Average rating for an average company"

Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in Vernon Hills, IL
Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at VCA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at VCA Hawthorn in Vernon Hills, and I had great co-workers. They were the only reason I enjoyed my job so much, the doctors were great as well as the head technician and the kennel staff.

Cons

I would get called off when it was too slow for me to come in. This was a total bummer since I was full time but barely making 36 hours a week, which I was told would over time get closer to 40 hours a week, but with getting called off all the time my hours were only reduced and I was scared of losing health benefits due to such low hours. They make you punch out for lunch, and you only get 30 minutes anyways so I didn't understand the reasoning for punching out for such a short lunch break. They paid me well, but when I quit and they had the kennel assistant move up to my position since she basically knew everything anyways, they barely raised her minimum wage pay rate and I still have no idea why. She is still, 1.5 years later, writing letters to VCA to try and get her pay higher, closer to what a technician should be paid. Honestly that whole situation just saddens me and I dislike how VCA feels like they can get away with paying people so poorly.

Advice to Management

Have some common sense and pay people what they're worth, you may think you're getting away with murder by paying technicians barely over minimum wage, but that is how you get bitter and angry employees who will only find better higher paying jobs, which isn't hard to do when you're paying the lowest. Honestly, grow and pair and pretend like you actually care about your employees and their well-being. Thank you.

Other Employee Reviews for VCA

"Typical Corporate company where only the numbers matter."

Former Employee - Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at VCA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff benefits for pet care are very good. Outside of that the commitment to employees is non-existent.

Cons

Very long hours without adequate pay. No flexibility for family/career balance. The goal for patients to be treated with the utmost care come far behind how much the company is making.

Advice to Management

Upper management/HR need to listen to the reasons employees that turn over so rapidly. This was NOT a good experience for me or all of the others who left under such difficult terms.

"Management terrible"

Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in Yonkers, NY
    Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in Yonkers, NY

I have been working at VCA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great specialists, and some co workers were very helpful.

Cons

Mananagement only cares about money. Everyone is replaceable, even long term employees. Manager who is manager was only there two years and managed to become manager above many other employees who were dedicated, hard working and have been there. She takes advantage of her power and is only interested in pleasing upper management otherwise sits in her office all day online. Comes In late everyday then stays later but takes multiple cigarette breaks and leaves throughout day, " works from home". Chastises people when sick but is constantly taking personal leave for wedding duties or to plan "hospital events" from home, sickening. Employees are upset and that is why there is such a high turnover rate. Most employees are only there 1 year average.

Advice to Management

Start opening eyes and seeing who deserves the position of manager instead of just giving it to the person who can bs the best. A degree in communications does not equal dedication and knowledge of hospital, as well as ability to lead staff and gain respect from staff.