VCA - Work at a vca only to gain some experience and then get out | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for VCA

"Work at a vca only to gain some experience and then get out"

Current Employee - Certified Technician
Current Employee - Certified Technician

I have been working at VCA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good pet discounts, great coworkers, most doctors are wonderful and great to work with, flexible schedule, some sweet pets among the spoiled and poorly behaved ones...

Cons

poor pay, HORRIBLE health insurance with an unaffordable deductible, insulting pay raises (if any at all), no reviews, lack of recognition, lack of encouragement for technicians, constant feeling of guilt if you ever want to take a vacation. Management never acknowledges any contributions from the team and takes all the credit. Supervisors are put into those positions but then left with their hands tied in many situations but then questioned as to why certain things aren't done because it's "in their job description". Clueless regional team that honestly seems to know nothing about veterinary medicine, inept regional medical director that is unprofessional and unhelpful. Corporate puts money in areas that is wasteful, i.e. branding heart worm and flea and tick products to actually try and compete with internet pharmacies. Our hospital had broken equipment, faucets, kennel doors, cabinets, clogging drains, sharp metal pieces in cages, floors coming up, and nothing was ever fixed. Under-qualified and under-educated staff members were pushed into technician roles and forced into learning tech skills, often to the detriment of patients....it was cheaper to pay these people $11 an hour instead of paying a qualified technician. Technicians forced to do many tasks that are illegal in other states. If you were a qualified technician, VCA would prefer to mold you into a manager and had no interest in you furthering or enhancing your technician skills because they feel that technicians are a dime-a-dozen and are paid as such.

Advice to Management

I used to have a positive feeling about VCA and thought I would be with them for a long time...and then recently I realized that they are greedy and do not care about their hard working employees. Offer better benefits to lure good talent, acknowledge hard workers, get rid of bad apples, and encourage professional development.

Other Employee Reviews for VCA

"Corporate and Regional Management questionable"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at VCA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good employee discount
    Might be lucky to work at a decent individual hospital resulting in good coworker relationships

Cons

Minimal training provided from the corporate office so it's hit or miss whether the environment will be good.
    Terrible pay structure for staff and veterinarians. Veterinary pay structure conflicts with time off benefits. Poor time off benefits for all staff
    Policies and procedures inconsistent. Observed questionable unethical decisions made by regional and some hospital management. Failure to treat employees consistently and senior corporate management takes very little interest in field/hospital employees. Employee terminations have been due to personal dislike versus a business decision.

Advice to Management

Senior management has to invest in better forums to determine the best for the company and not rely so much on regional management (they are not always the best source for information or decisions). Policies and procedures should be tightened so less opportunity for unethical damaging decisions; however, there should also be compromise and collaboration between the regional managers and field staff for the best for each individual hospital. Field staff deserve better pay, benefits, recognition and fair, honest treatment.

"Don't do it unless you are just looking to put some experience on your resume before you move on."

Former Employee - Veterinary Technician
    Former Employee - Veterinary Technician

Pros

I worked with some great and very experienced people.
    The staff cared about the clients and their pets.
    Good quality care of pets.

Cons

I have to start by saying I worked for the hospital 1 year before it was sold to VCA and then I worked at VCA another 1 1/2 years. Prior to the move it was a family type atmosphere where the management and staff truly took care of and cared about eachother. The management was in the building along with the owner so questions and requests were answered fairly quickly.
    Post VCA, we moved from a practice who was on its way to being paperless with a standard software program to a DOS based computer program and triple the amount of paper being used and often wasted. If you have any questions or issues, that has to go from the HM to the regional manager and through several levels to get any answer...that's if you ever get a response. Communication was terrible between management and staff and there were rarely clear, consise answers given.
    The company wants to squeeze every last penny from every client as well as their staff. Sure, you can bring your dog to work with you, but you have to pay the boarding fee and still take care of your own dog. It felt like you were selling things to clients and it made it hard to look the long time clients in the eye anymore. Many clients did not appreciate this approach and we lost a significant amount of these clients throughout my time there.
    When VCA took over, they said "if it's not broke, don't fix it" was going to be their approach as we were a high grossing practice that ran very well. This was an out and out lie, that place was unrecognizable by the time I left.
    I was so dissatisfied with the practice that I left the field completely and have no desire to go back. I had been in the field for 10 years. The turnover rate was outrageously high, long time employees, I'm talking 10 to 15 years, left for other practices even though many had to take pay cuts.
    Unless you are just looking to get your foot in the door at a practice, this is not a place you want to have a career. If you are lucky, there will still be experienced staff there to help you learn and grow.

Advice to Management

Leave the practice alone when you buy it. It doesn't need to fit the cookie cutter mold that you believe is what VCA is. The practices that are successful and well run can use tweaking, but it is ruined by the extreme changes.
    Appreciate your employees with money!!! They make a lot less than you and work hardest of all... the free lunch is nice once in awhile, but they have bills and families to take care of too.