VCA - Several co-workers made the workplace itself pleasant, but as a company, VCA is distant from its employees. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for VCA

"Several co-workers made the workplace itself pleasant, but as a company, VCA is distant from its employees."

Former Employee - Technician in New York, NY
Former Employee - Technician in New York, NY

Pros

I worked at Fifth Ave. Veterinary specialists (FAVS) in New York. Some of the other techs there were awesome and helped increase the quality of care immensely. Due to my longevity, I received a lot of flexibility with my schedule to accommodate school and vacations and got along well with the specialist I worked under. Luckily, I also got along well with the head technician, which made my life much easier. I was able to become more involved in my department, including learning new technologies and was given freedom when ordering supplies and equipment. At one point, I was offered a management opportunity at another VCA hospital. Also, I don't think FAVS management ever fired an employee due to slowing business, although hours were cut where possible.

Cons

For the majority of my time at Fifth Ave Vet, I was not reviewed by the hospital management or given feedback for the work I did or extra duties I took on. I was told to just keep doing what I was doing, but given no real benefits for a job well done. The only sort of reward for good work came directly from my specialist. My pay increased only a few dollars over several years, generally at the rate of fifty to seventy-five cents per year, despite taking on additional responsibilities. Although I stayed for the flexible schedule and more interesting specialty/emergency work, I could have made four dollars more per hour at a local private practice. All benefits were lost if weekly hours dropped to 32. Among the staff, there was a lot of discontent, showing up late, shirking duties, and disinterest in learning about the medicine behind the cases. To be clear, this was not everyone, but an atmosphere of complaint and resentment often pervaded. I don't feel the hospital management was very good at making good hiring decisions and feel they often decided a "warm body" would suffice. New hires often were given a higher hourly rate than long-time employees. Raises and reviews have been non-existent in the past few years. FAVS is not a thriving practice and techs, assistants, and receptionists take the brunt of it generally through cut hours. Long-time assistants were frequently asked to do the work of technicians (even fill technicians' shifts), but were not compensated accordingly.

Advice to Management

To the corporate management: Be more observant of which employees are making significant contributions to the hospital and give the management the ability to reward them, whether with increased rate of pay or other, one-time benefits. Sponsor more employee days, like free-lunch or coffee and donuts. These are really appreciated by all employees, support staff and doctors alike. Morale really suffered at times and could have been improved had in-house management had the authority/resources to reward good work accordingly. Also, the more decentralized you can make each hospital, the better.

Other Employee Reviews for VCA

"Some great qualities and some dumb choices"

Former Employee - Front Desk in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Front Desk in New York, NY

Pros

Good pay compared to other practices
    Great Benefits
    Flexible Hours if needed
    Many locations in the New York City area

Cons

Management is clueless at times
    Too many changes in the staff due to management
    Management not aware of customer's needs

Advice to Management

Try to obtain input from your staff and worry more about the customer, not making a dollar on things that others aren't. You'll make more money that way,

"Amazing people, need additional talent management systems"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The people and the industry are WONDERFUL! Everyone is friendly and laid back. Excellent environment.

Cons

The company has grown quickly, so there are lots of opportunities, but no structure in how to get to them.

Advice to Management

Invest in career progression and salary banding models.