VITAS Healthcare - Not a bad place to work, but could be much better. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for VITAS Healthcare

"Not a bad place to work, but could be much better."

Former Employee - RN Primary Nurse in Houston, TX
Former Employee - RN Primary Nurse in Houston, TX

I worked at VITAS Healthcare (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity and flexibility. Friendly and fun co-workers. Managers are hard working and will try to work with you in their limited capacity. Good education! Learned so much during orientation and throughout my time there.

Cons

High staff turn over, too much required on call for case managers.

Advice to Management

Have designated staff for all after hours well covered so case managers have the time off needed to recharge.

Other Employee Reviews for VITAS Healthcare

"Gratifying work in the trenches; Management very disrespectful"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working with the dying and their families

Cons

on call and if you don't agree with management they write you up even for situation that they is out of their scope of practice: for example General Manager making clinical decisions but only expertise is finances of the company, inconstency in disciplinary actions, play favorite, lack of respect for line staff, policy and procedures are not followed, everything is about Vitas Standard or Vitas best Practice yet policy and procedures are not followed, appears that they don't refer to policy and procedures and hence making up rules along the way, money matters over patients

Advice to Management

Seek alternate ways to communicate with the line staff and in a way that show respects, rather than use of humiliation or like one is a fifth class citizen, learn assertive communication skills and social skills in general, learn boundaries within ones scope of practice, learn limitations of scope of practice; lead by example and it will show up when employees are working with patients and families, train new managers before making them a manager,

"You get more bees with honey"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff in the field were hard working, dedicated and caring. They often went out of their way to support and help each other

Cons

The managers isolated themselves from the staff. There was never a" thank you" or "good job". You were over worked, under paid and under valued. There was never enough supplies and although I worked for them less than a year I never saw or heard of management doing anything out of the ordinary to improve the quality of life for any one. It was truly a "for profit" organization.

Advice to Management

Show a little gratitude. The "little people" or the people in the "trenches" are the reason for your job. The clients never say "I chose Vitas because of your General Manager or Director of Nursing. I always hear" my neighbor said the aides are very caring".