VITAS Healthcare - Patients and families come first, We take care of each other, I'm proud to make a difference, I'll do my best today and | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for VITAS Healthcare

"Patients and families come first, We take care of each other, I'm proud to make a difference, I'll do my best today and"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at VITAS Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A patient and family centered hospice company. An excellent training program for nurses and a good mentoring program from other staff that of been with the company a very long time. Team managers have been with the company. They also worked in the field so they know exactly how the job has to be done

Cons

Caseloads can go up (and down) but there is always additional help from the pool staff. Field staff must be able to work autonomously. If you do not come from home health or another job where you spend all your time in the field it can be very intimidating and hard to get used to. Once I ask for help they gave it to me and I was able to manage my schedule better.

Advice to Management

So far so good!

Other Employee Reviews for VITAS Healthcare

"I would never advise a friend to work here!"

Former Employee - LVN in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - LVN in San Antonio, TX

I worked at VITAS Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not very many that I wouldn't consider a requisite of employment

Cons

First, nursing assignments are done by the good ole boy method. Any time I had an easy assignment it was pulled and given to someone else on the 2nd day. Therefore, frequent last minute assignment changes. Pay........A JOKE! When you are hired as a FULL TIME EMPLOYEE you think that means 40 hours. At this company 40 hours a week occurs somewhere between 50-75% of the time with the explanation of "this is hospice." Then I'd suggest saying we frequently have less than 40 hours per week.

Advice to Management

I can't tell them anything I'm sure they think they already know. I can't wait for the Affordable Care Act to kick in. I have never seen such a bunch of top heavy, do nothing people. There are patients on this company's role than hardly fit the broadest definition of a hospice patient and I'm sure hospice companies bill the government a remarkable amount to insure payment to the upper echelon.

2. "Not a bad place to work, but could be much better."

Former Employee - RN Primary Nurse in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - RN Primary Nurse in Houston, TX

I worked at VITAS Healthcare (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity and flexibility. Friendly and fun co-workers. Managers are hard working and will try to work with you in their limited capacity. Good education! Learned so much during orientation and throughout my time there.

Cons

High staff turn over, too much required on call for case managers.

Advice to Management

Have designated staff for all after hours well covered so case managers have the time off needed to recharge.