VMware - One of the best companies I have worked at | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for VMware

"One of the best companies I have worked at"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Project Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at VMware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Smart people all around
- Lots of learning opportunities
- Had an awesome manager
- Always in the middle of innovation

Cons

None that I can think of

Other Employee Reviews for VMware

1. "VMware is the best company I have ever worked for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The People
    Hot Market
    Market Leader
    Work/Life Balance

Cons

I do not have any cons

"Emerging Products Division isn’t always the door into the Core"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

VMware does look good on a resume.

Cons

See below under advice to management.

Advice to Management

VMware grew their headcount from 6,000 to 10,000 with the acquisition of over 20 companies from 2010 through 2012. These new acquisitions are put under the control of the Emerging Products Division and a VMware Business Unit Manager is assigned to each company. Over the next year to 18 months, your company’s solutions are prepared for full integration (incubation as it’s called internally) into the total overall solutions that the Core VMware Sales Team can offer their clients. VMware believes they have a toe hold in 85% of the entities out there and your company’s solution is just another way to expand that foot print down the road. Once your solution is fully integrated into the Core, you’re career at VMware will come to an end. You will find that many of the superstars at your company will have already left by then because they saw the writing on the wall from the beginning. Their work will have been tossed onto your plate with every departure. So, by the time your job comes to an end it might be a relief because you'll be burned out anyway. Sadly, today's VMware is a labor camp - policy and procedure has replaced creativity and innovation.

If your company is acquired by VMware, enjoy the moment. Put it boldly on your resume and use that brand name to start opening doors at potential employers elsewhere. Most employers outside of VMware can’t distinguish between the Core and Emerging Products Division and only care about you having big name experience.

Advice to Management: Your tactics of “managing by fear” will come to haunt you later on. If you search the social sites, VMware’s reputation has already been harmed by the thousands of ex-employees you’ve alienated and lost through your acquisition policy. All of this will come back to bite your talent pool in the butt when the economy improves.