VMware - VMware an opportunity lost by Marketing without strategy? | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for VMware

"VMware an opportunity lost by Marketing without strategy?"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Cool technology and a shot at fame

Cons

Really poor senior management (before Maritz, who is very strong). Huge egos and unwillingness to listen to those at the 'coalface'. Culture of fear esp in EMEA.

Advice to Management

Root out the unstrategic, bring-nothing egomaniacs currently in PR/AR/Communication.

As bad are the regional marketing leads and especially EMEA Marketing team, needs to learn that VMworld EMEA is a tactic NOT a strategy.

Overall a ridiculous over-promotion of those who cannot spell STRATEGIC has gone on for years under Diana Greene and has carried on because it 'Keeps its enemies closer'. This is not how a company thrives.

Other Employee Reviews for VMware

"Good engineers, good problems, start-up culture being replaced with big-corporation culture"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

I felt like VMware was going to be a good experience from my interview. At other interviews (hint, starts with a G :) I was asked a bunch of questions about horses racing around a track and balancing balls, and I wasn't convinced the people I talked to really knew (or cared) about systems/kernel issues or had a vague idea what my grad school research was even about. It felt like I was being asked trick questions to join some exclusive club.

At VMware, I interviewed with the team I would be working with, and I was very impressed. The few canned questions always turned into good conversations, we talked about my research and current topics in the systems world. I left feeling knowing these were really smart guys who know their stuff, and that I'd enjoy working with them. I've since found this is true across the entire engineering staff.

Luckily they offered me a position, and it has been a great job. After being in the research area for several years, I wanted to get into building "real" products, and that's exactly what we do. It's great to know your code is providing value to huge range of customers across the world. VMware is really on the cutting edge of virtualization, and there are still plenty of interesting problems to solve.

Work/life balance in R&D is good - you have the occasional days where a big bug gets unearthed by QA or there's just a lot going on, but generally you have plenty of time to complete your tasks and branch out when something interesting comes up.

Cons

When I started, you felt like you were living the Silicon Valley dream. That slowly disappeared - the free lunch on Wednesday was the first to go, soon followed by all our options going under water (everyone is in that boat, though), then most of the shuttle buses went, senior management got a big shuffle and the founders left, the 401K matching and salary raises stopped, and now there's no more cereal or snacks.

VMware was pretty much blessed with a monopoly on virtualization for a long time. Competitors are now not just snapping at our heels, but storming the fort. This can be healthy, but it is quite a culture change.

Thus working here has started to become more like "just a job". It's probably a combination of the current economic times and the start-up culture growing into the mega-corporation that VMware really is now. So far retention is good and everyone is taking the changes well, but you do wonder that if things start to pick up if good engineers will leave for greener pastures - that would potentially be a real morale killer.

Advice to Management

I think senior management is well aware that the competition is starting to catch up. I think we need to simplify and consolidate our offerings, a process that seems to be happening.

2. "Challenging work environment that allows personal growth"

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

The work environment at VMware is challenging but relaxed. You are surrounded by very smart people which keeps you on your toes. Being still a young company VMware has an open decision making process. Being proactive and passionate about your work is appreciated and honored. It's pretty much a go for it environment in which hard work reaps great rewards. The management is good about communicating issues important to the company down to the various levels.

Cons

No real downsides, it's a good place to work at. VMware currently suffers a bit from the fast growth in recent years and goes through a period of organizational changes.h

Advice to Management

Pretty satisfied with the current leadership