VMware - Annual release cycle doesn't meet the needs of the business | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for VMware

"Annual release cycle doesn't meet the needs of the business"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

VMware can be a good place to work. As an engineering-driven culture, great work can happen.
The annual internal innovation event is a great opportunity to interact with people across the company and take the time away from our jobs to come up with the next big thing.
There are some truly fantastic managers who understand people management, project management, and the VMware business.
There is room and support for career growth.
The salary is good. Annual raises, bonuses, and stock are very good.

Cons

The annual release cycle doesn't meet anyone's needs. We can't make big bets because they don't fit into an annual release release, which means that we can't deliver enough value to justify an annual release.
There's a new fire drill that requires a drastic re-plan every few weeks, which impacts morale and leaves the impression that senior management doesn't know what it's doing.
QA is perennially understaffed, which makes the annual release cycle more difficult.
Our customers don't want annual releases. We're not investing in our architecture or scalability, which leaves us vulnerable.
The benefits are okay, but not as good as other companies. The 401k and charitable giving matches do not match local companies.

Advice to Management

Status emails from executives should be to the point and not include inside jokes or movie quotes.
Executives need to be out in front of employees more often. There's been a lot of executive turnover, and all of the churn that has come since that turnover such as the change in vacation policy, the poor and changing communication in how we would be compensated for accrued vacation, and the recent layoff, have not done anything to make employees trust the executive team. Execs came off as arrogant and out of touch at the recent partner event.
The train doesn't work. Admit it, fix it, and make it possible to innovate and lead instead of constantly having to cut features because we can't fit everything the short development window.

Other Employee Reviews for VMware

"Great company to work for, as generous as demanding to its employees"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Products and a fabulous growth. Former CEO had an incredible vision for the company and was so humble. I dont know yet about the new CEO

Cons

Completely disorganized company with very little process in place and a pace that can be very challenging. Since 2013, no PTO anymore...

Advice to Management

Stop managing the company as if it was a start-up

"Great to average"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at VMware full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1. Great people
    2. Great technology
    3. Good perks
    4. Some interesting programs in place to motivate people to take risks.

Cons

1. Moves slowly. Heavily weighed down by processes to make a predictable release. Consequently, innovation is limited to only some pockets within the company
    2. Attrition effects the morale of employees