Vacations To Go - Redundant but financialy rewarding | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Vacations To Go

"Redundant but financialy rewarding"

Current Employee - Travel Counselor in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Travel Counselor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Vacations To Go full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can make work as much as you want unlimited earning potential great bonus structure.

Cons

Doing the same thing everyday.

Other Employee Reviews for Vacations To Go

"Frustrating place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time

Pros

Clear mission statement to provide the lowest rates and highest levels of service. Ethical treatment of clients. Even low and middle managers are empowered to make most decisions involving how to solve problems and fix issues for clients. A lot of opportunities for free or severely discounted trips. Opportunities for agents to earn extra vacation days during busy times of year (note- agents are paid straight commission so vacation days are not paid.) With few exceptions (receptionists, accountants, etc.) all managers and executives began as agents so there are definitely opportunities for upward mobility. There are a handful of exception people there- you must find them to survive there though.

Cons

Senior and executive management is very spotty and inconsistent in terms of actual competence. Some managers, directors and executives are very good and deserve the respect they command. But others are extremely under-qualified and just...dumb. Actually dumb. Some started shortly after college and were promoted desperately during times of rapid expansion and their skills and abilities are dwarfed by their inexperience and lack of perspective. Inappropriate behavior that borders on, and in some cases defines the worst kind of sexual harassment. I experienced this personally and know several others who did as well. Overall lack of awareness about how management is perceived within the company (especially at the higher levels of management.)

Advice to Management

Treat your employees at all levels as you strive to treat your clients. Be better about identifying who the "good ones" are and distinguish them from the rest. Maybe you should listen when you are told repeatedly over years that there is a sexual harassment issue involving management. Stop rewarding people who are incompetent and those who continually defy the rules and continue to make more money than those who are pulling most of the weight. Stop being so vindictive and paranoid. When people move on to other things, it's not a relationship break-up. Grow up.

"Travel Counselor"

Former Employee - Travel Counselor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Travel Counselor in Houston, TX

I worked at Vacations To Go full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity to make money if you are in the right department and willing to work the crazy hours.

Cons

Upper Management is completely out of touch with employees. Middle Management is not hired based on talent or seniority...instead hired because they arent looking to move up past that position.

Advice to Management

Start taking a look at why employees are leaving and make changes.. Listen to your employees when they are unhappy and offer to work with them to keep them with the company. When I quit, my "exit interview" was simply HR asking me to return my garage key. They never once asked me why I choose to leave.