Vail Resorts - Really Bad Pay but opportunities to expand your service industry resume | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Vail Resorts

"Really Bad Pay but opportunities to expand your service industry resume"

Former Employee - Fine Dining Server in Breckenridge, CO
Former Employee - Fine Dining Server in Breckenridge, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

work where you play
able to move up quickly if you are financially able to stay with it - HIGH turnover rate creates open positions!

Cons

Areas of jobs tend to be of high real estate value (HIGH RENT)
Pay is marginal to pathetic
Most employees must work multiple jobs to pay for life expenses

Advice to Management

Retain the talented, key employees with higher pay so that they will stay longer than 1-2 years max before they have to move on in order to pay off college loans, start a family, etc. Seasonal employees can be payed low wages as they are generally looking to "escape reality" for a winter or year

Other Employee Reviews for Vail Resorts

"Drugs and laziness"

Former Employee - Busser in Vail, CO
    Former Employee - Busser in Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ski pass. Food discounts. If your lazy you got it made

Cons

Terrible management at certain lodge in Beaver Creek. Employees basically allowed to do whatever they want to on shift. Steal, take and sell drugs on the job, hide in closets, not perform their functions because they are too high. I was the oddball because I took pride in my job, was ethical, was sober, and cared for the company. Mgmt will deny it but i know management was aware of most of it. GM told me he doesnt hire for and rarely wants return employees. That is how he backed up the fact that many of the employees were as lazy as ive ever seen. Then Human Resources had no sympathy if you quit because you cannot handle the drug infested workplace. Human resources had no desire to counsel on career advancement.

Advice to Management

Be a manager.

"The corporate office lives up to the name"

Former Employee - Marketing in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Vail Resorts office has a nice lounge/coffee bar for all of the staff, in my department I had some great teammates and there was almost no office drama, all employees get free ski pass and some vouchers for friends and family, the lodging discounts are alright and if you pick the right time of year there are some good ones.

Cons

The pay is below average and the benefits do not make up for the deficiency. The work culture is awful and has very little flexibility for alternative work options like occasionaly working form home for example. The paid time off is also severely lacking. Upper management is constantly meddling in projects and causing more work for the teams.

Advice to Management

The office culture is seriously lacking and you will need to make some moves to retain your most talented workers so don't be afraid to break away from the status quo and try something new, you do it all the time with big marketing projects like EpicMix. Also there is no incentive to bring up new ideas because the performance incentive is laughable.