Vail Resorts - Great ski bum job | Glassdoor

"Great ski bum job"

Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Keystone, CO
Former Employee - Reservations Agent in Keystone, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours for skiing. Either off at 3pm to night ski or not in until 2pm. Everyone you work with is also a ski bum so great office mentality.

Cons

Monotonous. Phone sales can really suck sometimes. Pay is awful. Have to deal with way too many irritating customers for how little they pay.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more and you won't see as much turnover.

Other Employee Reviews for Vail Resorts

""Vail love you!" no... Vail loves your money, they could care less about you as a person or a family."

Pros

Vail is a great mountain to ride, wonderful terrain and lots of snow. In the summer it is beautiful and sunny almost every day.

Cons

Vail is a corporate company that will bend you over backwards for your money. There handbook is written in a way so that if something happens and it's not in the book, or it is and there are little details that make the difference, Vail is able to change the rules in the hand book so that Vail is never at fault.

"The Company reserves the right to modify, revoke, suspend, terminate, or change any or all of the information
    contained in the Handbook and any plans, guidelines or procedures, in whole or in part, at any time, with or without notice."

For a "professional company", that doesn't seem very professional. That looks like a company that is all about finding a back way into anything. They treat their employees like lesser being and continuously promote people with only one interest, self benefits and company expansion. The rules and regulations of Vail are made by people that don't even live here, they live in or around Broomfield, CO. Therefore they do not understand what needs to happen and how things actually work on the mountain. We have mountain police that don't punish the people that are skiing out of control, cutting across the entire trail at slower speeds than the general traffic, stopping in blind spots, and even cutting other people off. All of these actions are very dangerous when it comes to skiing/snowboarding, i personally have seen friends of mine nearly become hospitalized because some tourist isn't paying attention to their surroundings and blindly going down the hill. Vail needs to get the priorities straight, not their priorities because that would be more money.

Vail puts on a face to make tourist feel safe and have fun so that they spend more money. Therefore they do not punish tourists for irresponsible behavior both on and off the mountain. Thus leaving the only people to be punish is the locals, and I'm not talking about the locals with money, I mean the locals that live here year-round and are living in small and expensive housing units. The money we make from out jobs here in the valley mostly goes right to rent, utilities, groceries, and gas if we have a car. What's left is just about enough to go out to the bars and pay for the cheaper deals like $3 beers... the statistics may tell a different story, but thats because all the poor locals are clumped in with the obnoxiously rich locals that either live here with their family, or more often the case, live in their multi-million dollar homes maybe 3 weeks out of the year.

The reason why Vail has so many people working for them is because if you constantly replace employees you don't have to pay them more hourly. Tell me why the grooming operators that start at $13 an hour, are getting payed $15 an hour after working for Vail for 5 years?! At the same time we have directors making a $116,000 average yearly salary! These directors are the same ones that are trying to make the mountain safe but going about it in the completely opposite way that it should be, by punishing the people that know how to ski/ride well for dodging the people that don't ski/ride well so they don't end up in the hospital and/or a lawsuit.

I could go on but i have better things to do than let Vail take up more of my day.

Advice to Management

If you treat your employees well they will want to benefit the mountain. Those of us that live here see that you don't care one bit for us.

"Amazing Co-workers, horrible Corporate management"

Former Employee - Marketing in Vail, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing in Vail, CO

I worked at Vail Resorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The teams and people I worked with were some of the best in the industry. Smart and innovative, I learned an incredible amount during my time here. The problem of understaffing usually led to the opportunity to garner more experience in a variety of areas. Essentially you had to wear multiple hats at all times.

Cons

The Corporate center never listened to local market findings, or individual resort direction and also facilitated competition within it's own portfolio. Pay was well below average. Trying to get a pay raise was laughable. Getting promoted was next to impossible. Most of the hiring was external, and those hired usually left within the year. Responsibilities increased with absolutely no compensation. Instead money was spent on the "next-big-thing", which was always created without any supporting infrastructure to run it. Going against the grain would get you let go.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more, as some of the best usually leave or get pushed out. Staffing your projects better will make them run smoother. More room for internal advancement and appreciation.