Value Village - Embarrasing and repetitive | Glassdoor

"Embarrasing and repetitive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newmarket, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newmarket, ON (Canada)

Pros

some of the employees make it OK to come into work.

Cons

no increase in pay
condicending remarks by Assist. Production Man.
no Leadership from Store Manager

Advice to Management

revamp the management
Teach Managers on how to speak to people in a respectable way
create a safe work enviroment

Other Employee Reviews for Value Village

"Great Business to Work For and Feel You're Contributing to More Than a Profit"

Former Employee - Assistant Production Supervisor
    Former Employee - Assistant Production Supervisor

Pros

FYI: This is Value Village in the NW US, Savers elsewhere.

Value Village is a feel-good company to work for if you really aren't too hot on the business concept only (i.e. just making a profit). The company purchases all merchandise from charity partners, including items donated at the store. The company obviously, by being a thrift store, is recycling used merchandise, but it also keeps millions of pounds of recyclables that it doesn't believe are good enough for the selling floor out of the waste stream by sending items to a recycle warehouse and recycling the product elsewhere in the world. The majority of the people are good-hearted and you have contact with team members and customers from every walk of life you can think of. There are tons of long-termers with loads of experience and you can learn a great deal of skills if you are willing to take the steps and take charge of your own training. I really enjoyed my time there and went from having zero retail experience to basically being able to run a store on my own. I will always appreciate what I've gotten through my time at Value Village and I will always shop at Value Village, it is a great company with huge potential (particularly during a recession).

Cons

The company has shifted from a collaborative management style to a top-down style where decisions are taken out of the hands of the key players in the store and placed in the hands of upper management (far above the store level). Store managers cannot even hire their own supervisors without complete approval and interviews by HR and upper management, meaning store managers do not have the final say. The company is using fancy internet personality surveys to determine if people might be good enough for even the assistant supervisor positions (which I saw them use 8 years ago with minimal success). The company is making decisions about potential supervisory candidates through phone interviews! The company will only hire 2 levels above, so for example if you want to be hired as an assistant supervisor, you basically have to have obvious store manager potential. You can imagine this is leaving the stores starving for leadership, as what person of store manager caliber wants to be an hourly supervisor and start at $11 something an hour??? The store I left, for example, had no Production Supervisor since last May, I did the work without the title because there was noone else to do it. I frequently did projects that were the Store Manager's responsibility, as well. We had no Assistant Supervisors in Operations for something like 6 months last year after we lost two Assistant Supervisors in Ops. and my Assistant (same title as me, but had been around for less time) had to do that job and try to help me. We also went through two main Operations Supervisors in the last year and a half. We've also had 4 District Managers since October! My main concern with the company is that it is poised to do great things, but not making good decisions about the store leadership roles.

Advice to Management

This company is awesome in terms of the training and experience it provides to store supervisors and managers, you can basically learn as much as you want. However, you can not necessarily take it anywhere in this comapany. It reminds me of the complaints of how the Mariners train all the good ball players and then trade them off to other teams, where they then play in or win the world series. The company has made strange decisions for store leadership that have only become more strange. First, 4 years or so ago, watched an extremely talented store manager leave the company for another company's DM position b/c she was passed over after many empty promises and a DM from a failing video store chain was given the DM job she deserved. That DM then hired a bunch of store managers from his previous company (he and all of them are no longer with the company). A huge part of what makes Value Village succesful is the fact that each store processes thousands of pounds of clothing and hard goods every day and puts thousands of new items onto the sales floor every day. Nothing against the video store industry, but unpacking a few boxes of new dvds every couple days is not equivalent in any way to running a production room with 20-30 team members readying new product of all types and values to the floor every day. Now the company, as stated above, is leaving the stores short on supervisors for months at a time because noone is good enough. Also, have seen two stores close down over my time that could have been and had been succesful in the past because the company constantly chooses to place new store managers into failing stores. It makes absolutely no sense to me. You'd think they'd want to bolster those stores with experienced managers who have some clue how to turn them around. I think personally the company has become a little too big for its britches. Please remember, there was a goal of 200 stores by 2000, and 10 years later there is only what? 230ish stores? Great company overall, but needs to become more humble and realize that sometimes loyal keyholders are as important at the store level to the operation of the store as a store manager with DM potential is to the company and its growth overall. Also, 5-15's (the company's survey of team member satisfaction, done quarterly with store team members) needs to be regularly taken of supervisors and managers - I have personally only done 2 in the 12 years I was a supervisor. You are pushing out talented supervisors and managers that could help your company grow! Thanks for helping me make an incredible resume - I have basically done everything a store manager does (sometimes more) and can make close to twice as much money elsewhere!

2. "Cour municipale"

Former Contractor - Commis in Beloeil, QC (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Commis in Beloeil, QC (Canada)

I worked at Value Village as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Horaire de 32.5 hr Bon salaire, travail intéressant, Atmosphère agréable

Cons

Peux de possibilité de permanence.

Advice to Management

Afficher plus de postes