Valve Corporation - possibly the best game company to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Valve Corporation

"possibly the best game company to work for"

Pros

good quality of life, and being surrounded by creative people. there are many reasons to work at valve. the standards are pretty high, but they push you and really make you strive for the newest, best thing. there is no formal management structure, and responsibility is given on a competence level or if one asks for it. there is lots of room to try new things, so you feel like you are learning all the time. i have been at valve for many years and found it to be extremely rewarding, both in a business sense and personal one.

Cons

very competitive internally (high standards).

Advice to Management

more insight into what's happening at the company, future plans.

Other Employee Reviews for Valve Corporation

"Awesome Company"

I have been working at Valve Corporation full-time

Pros

Great people to work with
    awesome company community

Cons

none I can think of. had a great opportunity there

2. "Good company - but very slow processing forward"

Former Employee - MSC CS(3D-Artist, Postgamedev staff) in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - MSC CS(3D-Artist, Postgamedev staff) in Seattle, WA

I worked at Valve Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free food, smart people, casual working enviornment , gym

Cons

advertising flat structure when there actually isn't flat structure, not enough/proper communication between teams, things go through a lot of instances before they finally "come together" or "start moving" - even years, or not at all, management has too much power and directing pace of projects too much compared to well known iconic public individuals(Gabe etc.)

Advice to Management

I enjoyed my stay at VALVe in the beginning very much so, was very exciting to be part of this vibrant team. Like mentioned the pros are marvelous and teams can start to feel like a family but the company "changed" over the years, coming to work started to feel more and more mundane as it was only maintenance most of the time, the project restrictions from the leads/management(yes there are, dont believe Valves propaganda ;) ) made me lose this exciting vibe for working there, some old coworker folks started to retire or leave voluntary and made the workplace feel even more generic, the company has started to become a chaotic playground which then again wasnt chaotic cause of aforementioned restrictions and guidelines/project priorities;

If you were a young developer just finishing colleague and wanting to kick off a career in gaming and it was 2009 - I'd say join Valve. Now in 2017 - Valve is still a good place to get ton of experience and make good connections in the industry, but not a good choice if you want to be creative and speak your mind out. A young dev should be able to push his limits, engage with new exciting scenarios every day, and experience beautiful but stressful flow of game production/design/shipment, sometimes even pull allnighters like I did in my younger days ;). Aspiring devs doing maintenance work is wasted resource and time for these young folks, something no one seems to care about at Valve anymore(from my experience late 2015 - doubt things have changed much though 2 years later).

So: good company - lost it's "magic"