Valvoline - Great place to learn the importance of team work to be successful! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Valvoline

"Great place to learn the importance of team work to be successful!"

Current Employee - Valvoline Customer Service Advisor
Current Employee - Valvoline Customer Service Advisor

I have been working at Valvoline full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great entry level start for those with little to no experience
Gain car knowledge very quickly
Great discounts on for your personal vehicle
Great team work environment.
Friendly management and staff

Cons

The nit picking about gaining the goal of sales daily

Advice to Management

Dont expect your workers to do things you wouldn't do.

Other Employee Reviews for Valvoline

"People don't care how much you know but they want to know how much you care...stay away from this company"

Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Valvoline full-time

Pros

1. Gain experience working on cars
    2. Fun
    3. Team Work

Cons

1. Lack of caring and bonus...I didn't see more dimes even after I was chosen as the year highest dollar over posted in the nation.
    2. I got a call to come in to work even though I was sick with doctor's notice
    3. 60-80hr/week

Advice to Management

1. Go back to business school, relearn everything again on how to run a successful business. I ran above 80% of employees retention when I was running two stores. Happy employees means: better morale, less training expenses, and at the end: profit....NOT the other way around.
    2. Show the example of work smarter than work harder! The team I constructed and managed went over 178% OVER THE YEAR of the corporate goal for the store.
    3. Have a better compensation structure. I set up and led sales training small seminars for other stores and the outcome: ~25% increase sales per month after the seminar. I didn't see any more dimes in my bank account.
    4. How long and what does it take for changing the whole mind set of cutting throats and negativity for profit? Again, go back to business school!

"Put up with a lot for a little"

Current Employee - Certified Technician in Boardman, OH
    Current Employee - Certified Technician in Boardman, OH

I have been working at Valvoline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-In-depth knowledge of cars and various car manufacturers
    -Decent wages and benefits
    -Easy, laid back environment with constant breaks

Cons

-It's 100% all about your sales numbers. If you can't sell, you can be the best technician in the world and you won't be promoted.
    -Employees in upper management are constantly making racist/sexist remarks. Reports to your service center manager or area manager might lead to the person being disciplined, depending on their numbers. If their numbers were good, they were never reprimanded for anything, only encouraged. If their numbers were bad, that was an excuse to terminate them and you'd never see them again.
    -Constant theft in the stores. One store I worked at was missing more money out of the drawer than it was supposed to contain. But that store ran numbers, so no one was ever punished. Another store has an employee in federal prison for forging bank statements and pocketing deposits.
    -They will promote you, then demote you, then promote you, then demote you. They would rather punish or reward you than work with you and make you a more consistent employee.
    -Crooked practices. Hooking up machines and never performing services that they charge the customers for, breaking parts on vehicles, doing $20 cash deals for side money, the list is quite long.

Advice to Management

-Listen to your employees. And enforce policies you promise to enforce.
    -The customer may be king, but that doesn't make the technicians peasants. We shouldn't have to bend over backwards to accommodate customers making pejorative remarks. We're human too.
    -It's about the quality of employee you're molding, not the dollars over posted for that day. If you have one technician who can work on cars that doesn't mean that they need to acquiesce to every whim of the salesmen. It means you need to train your salesmen to do the work they're recommending instead of inflating their paychecks for inflating yours and working that one technician til they drop dead of exhaustion.
    -You are an oil change facility, not a 5 star restaurant! Most of our customers expect the technicians to look a little rugged. As long as their tattoos are generally unoffensive, they should be allowed to remain visible. I've seen COUNTLESS technicians pass out in the middle of July because they're working bottomside where no one can see them and wearing turtlenecks so not to offend.