Vanguard - Mix Signals by Management, but Still a Great Company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Vanguard

"Mix Signals by Management, but Still a Great Company"

Current Employee - Developer in Valley Forge, PA
Current Employee - Developer in Valley Forge, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

PTO is best in class...new hires get 3 weeks, but after a promotion I was up to 4 weeks and 4 days, plus we always have an option to buy a week.
The 401k match is very good because of the 14% put in yearly by Vanguard, then add in the low cost investor fees.
As a software developer in the Retail division, I'm given the opportunity to learn the Brokerage and Mutual Fund business, while also honing Technical skills.
The Yearly Bonus recently changed so Top Performers get a bigger cut of the money, and this greatly benefited me since I'm still a relatively new hire.
There's a Wegman's now, so we've got that.

Cons

There's a lot, but the culture is changing:
Yearly Compensation is low for the suburbs, and honestly if I wasn't in IT I wouldn't be able to live without a roommate.
When I lobbied for a promotion after only a year on the job (not unreasonable), I was told I needed time in job by my manager. Within 6 mos. I was promoted. Then about 3 yrs later I was given a review that stated, "not visible to upper management" which of course I barely control, so I switched to a very visible role on a $60 mil project, where I soon became a SME. Now I'm getting signals where I'm integral to the program, yet there's no promotion to compensate me for that. It's just frustrating that the company is trying to be more visible in its promotion/demotion area, yet individual Divisions can squash it.
Working in the Suburbs

Advice to Management

The culture isn't skewing to a younger demographic and crew, but we are the future. We're not harmless, but we are hungry.
Embrace flexibility (it's getting better, but there's still a "Factory Worker" culture)
Promotions/Demotions should be handled by a Manager and their Directs, and not by three or four levels above.

Other Employee Reviews for Vanguard

"Low Pay, Limited Opportunities, Excellent Benefits and Job Security"

Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Investment Consultant in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job Security, Great Benefits, Food on site

Cons

Low Pay, Limited Opportunities, Forced to work outside of work at times.

Advice to Management

Consider keeping the benefits the same, but increasing the pay so people can live comfortably. Most have 2 jobs.

"Great place to learn about finance and the corporate world"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing educational opportunities, mentorship program, subsidized food on campus, get paid to get financial licenses, and an excellent benefits package.

Cons

Very egalitarian culture- they do not embrace innovation, and you must go through many many channels to make progress (aka, email 3 people to get approval before you change an entry on an excel spreadsheet)... Some departments are wonderful (like the Sales and Marketing Retail group) but others are a bit depressing and behind the times (more on the Institutional side)... And the dress code is way too strict considering the chance of seeing a client is slim to none.

Advice to Management

Allow more room for independence and creativity- micromanagement and bureaucracy don't fit well with the Millenial mentality.