Vanguard - Great company... Senior mgmt worked hard for employee engagement and shared profits | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Vanguard

"Great company... Senior mgmt worked hard for employee engagement and shared profits"

Former Employee - Analyst in King of Prussia, PA
Former Employee - Analyst in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Vanguard full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Industry leader, cutting edge technology, sound business strategy. The security attention for infrastructure, employees and customers sets a good example for wall street and the industry.

Cons

Pay is a little on the low side, and some of the older employees are shoved around. Some of the younger strategies like smart start- for fresh college grads- implied if you were old, then you were slow and dumb.

Other Employee Reviews for Vanguard

"A large company that does great by it's clients, but has trouble keeping up technologically."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Incredibly stable job working for a company that has a pretty strong ethical foundation. The benefits are really nice, especially the almost absurd amount of vacation time you get (I have almost 6 weeks). Their 401(k) match is 4% plus 10% vesting. They've recently gone full steam with employee engagement and flexibility, so things are getting a lot better than they used to be.

The culture has become more relaxed (business casual all the time) while still maintaining the focus on charity and client value.

Cons

You can still feel the weight of the enterprise when you have to work with multiple groups on a project. It's not that there's active resistance, it's that you're often far on the organization chart from people who you work with on a daily basis. This can lead to a lot of small problems that don't seem apparent until they all come up at once.

Advice to Management

Maintain your current trajectory for pushing forward with innovation, flexibility and engagement. While you've made a few missteps, it's generally been working. Reward managers who push their teams and the organizations toward positive change.

This is a big one: Hire people into specific positions and make sure they're aware of what they're being hired for. I've spoken to lots of people who were unpleasantly surprised by what their day to day function was going to be once they got to work. When I started I spent a few months in a position I absolutely hated and was mystified why I would be placed there given my skill set. Fortunately I found another position internally that was a good fit.

"Great people, very ethical, not much room to advance in Charlotte"

Current Employee - Brokerage Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Brokerage Associate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brokerage Associates are friendly, smart, and helpful.

Cons

Very competitive for promotion to exempt level, all are similarly qualified . Good place to start but look elsewhere long term for the Charlotte office.

Advice to Management

Bring higher level positions to Charlotte.