Vanguard - Wonderful place to work if you know what they're looking for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Vanguard

"Wonderful place to work if you know what they're looking for"

Current Employee - Assigned Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
Current Employee - Assigned Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great crew, dedicated management, huge focus on diversity, community, education, etc. You will succeed here if you know how to work here, what the management is looking for, and if you know how to flaunt your competencies at year end.

Cons

compensation could be upped in terms of take home -- I don't need the gym services, dry cleaning, etc. Also, there are literally like 15 gardeners for 4 buildings. It's strange to see such a huge focus and money spent on desert landscaping. Also, carpool parking is not plentiful enough.

Advice to Management

re-evaluate compensation more focus on pay-grade adjustments.

Other Employee Reviews for Vanguard

"Work way too hard for way to little"

Current Employee - Problem Resolution Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Problem Resolution Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vanguard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of PTO available right away.

- Decent company culture

- Relatively relaxed work environment

Cons

-In Arizona, if you are a white male, your career path is quite short. The office is set on ensuring it's gender diversity is very high in Scottsdale.

-Management won't make decisions. I don't know if they are afraid or unable, but everything requires approval from someone higher than the person you're talking to.

-Painfully bad technology. Improvements are being made, but the improvements bring Vanguard into the 2000s, not into the future.

- High retention of incompetent staff. No one ever gets fired for performance, so if you aren't being grossly unprofessional, you won't lose your job.

-Poor salary for the industry.

-For those who take pride in their job, Service Recovery is outlandishly stressful. Nightmares about work should not be a department reality.

Advice to Management

Fire people. I am simply appalled by the level of ineptitude people can get away with at this company. I wouldn't trust probably 60% of my department to water my plants, much less safeguard my assets.

Also, I know we are 'at cost,' but our pay really is bad. The number of people who have second jobs or roommates is pretty sad.

"Great place for college recruits"

Former Employee - Brokerage Associate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Brokerage Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Vanguard full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young atmosphere, most new hires coming straight out of college. Experience not a must.

Cons

Limited mobility. Management positions are not really manger positions. It's an atmosphere of everyone takes control of there own career. Make sure you like to volunteer, constantly be solicited for money for united way and aren't scared of needles because I was always asked to give blood 4x a year to get an hour off the phones.

Advice to Management

Go public and start running the company like a real business.