Varen Technologies - Good people and great opportunities! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Varen Technologies

"Good people and great opportunities!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

Pros

I've been with Varen for a little over a month and I have to say everything has been exactly as they promised (or better) during my several-month transition from a large consulting firm. Although I liked my former employer, Varen is even better! It is fun and exciting to be with a small company that is growing and to be at a place where you can make a real impact.

Cons

When I was at "big consulting firm," we had a system or a process for just about everything. Varen is still working on that. On the other hand, there are great opportunities to take some of these projects on--Varen leadership appreciates and rewards those who go above and beyond to help advance the company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you've done to get this far! Hiring only the best staff and rewarding them for the company's success is a model that is working for Varen and its employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Varen Technologies

"Shady Company"

Former Employee - Consultant in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Consultant in Columbia, MD

Pros

The way they structure their pay and compensation is similar to the Booz Allen Hamilton model since the owner is a former BAH partner. However, unlike BAH, they have a much better competitive pay and time off, as they are a fairly new company (~3 years old).

Cons

They give a great sales pitch to come work for them, but if you ever leave, it's like you mean nothing to them. Also, there is not a lot of room for movement from position to position. I consider management to be a bit shady. They were not very upfront with my role and responsibility. Because if they were, I would not have joined. However, management's job is to fill as many positions on contracts as possible.

Advice to Management

Be honest with people you recruit or else they'll just leave later on.

"Great company, but your client may not be"

I have been working at Varen Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mid and upper level management are excellent people that are both competent and easy to talk to. Yearly evaluations are generous in terms of not penalizing you heavily for mistakes, but they'll let you know what things got noticed so you can improve. Compensation benefits, and side benefits (food and events) are very strong. You get the general feeling they're trying the best they can to take care of people.

Cons

This is a contracting company, so when you're put on a contract, you have to deal with the issues related to that indirect employer you're working for, and yes, some of them can be quite frustrating. The recruiting staff is good but sometimes is not fully aware what contract positions are open : make sure you listen carefully during all stages of the hiring process because your job description may change midway through.

Advice to Management

Make sure recruiting has up to date information on the placements available