Various - Get out of my way and let me do my job. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Various

"Get out of my way and let me do my job."

Current Employee - Senior Linux Administrator in Palo Alto, CA
Current Employee - Senior Linux Administrator in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

We push a lot of traffic. From an Operations' perspective it is a large, interesting and exciting environment with lots of room for improvement still. There are many technical challenges to work through that are engaging. Many of the people I work with are technically very bright, personally very friendly and are fun to work with. Experimentation is encouraged and can prompt change. There is a strong culture to promote from within when appropriate and seek fresh blood when needed. The Health and 401(k) options are both decently provisioned, with low co-pays on health care and up to 4% matching on 401(k) contributions.

Cons

Management, especially Senior Management, often to seem to be at odds with the staff leading to low morale. Low morale leads to high turnover. I've had to talk others out of leaving and others have had to talk me out of it too. It often feels that management does not trust its employees. The management culture tends to prefer "fast, cheap" while the grunts usually prefer "cheap, good". Communication from management is spotty and oft changing, sometimes wildly. Resource constraints aligned with unrealistic management demands leads to rampant hack-assery, with documentation often an after thought if it was a thought at all, "wrong" decisions made in the interest of speed and things generally getting 80% finished, "good enough to work" but never with any "polish". There are only 9 holidays a year and PTO is too low, with sick days sharing the PTO pool. Telecommuting on a regular basis is verboten. Stress is often high due to too few hands leading to multiple concurrent demands on many of the Operations staff, leading to insufficient focused time for major projects. The work schedule often does not include adequate time for evaluation of options, proper implementation of solutions or documentation.

Advice to Management

Come up with a Vision and then ask us for a plan to meet that vision. Don't try to dictate technical solutions, let the techies work the technology and management work the business. When you're still not sure what's going on keep your mouth shut. When you have some certainly openly and quickly communicate what the deal is. Encourage cross group collaboration. LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES AND TAKE ACTION BASED ON THEIR FEEDBACK.

Other Employee Reviews for Various

1. "Job review"

I have been working at Various part-time

Pros

Own boss means I can set my own work loads

Cons

Own boss means that I have be motivated

2. "Senior Project and Contracts Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager/Contracts Manager in Moscow (Russia)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager/Contracts Manager in Moscow (Russia)

Pros

Great Salary and Benefits; however, this is the most foolish,ill-programmed and inconsequential questionnaire that I have ever taken part in.

Cons

High Cost of Rent, Very narrow roads with accompanying hills and valleys, local speedsters threaten you from every angle and locals tend to frown on ex-pats.

Advice to Management

Do not try to change anything. Caymanians are very protective of their habits, customs and culture. You will find many incompetent people working in high places. Always agree and keep your opinions to yourself.