Employee Review

Current Employee, more than 1 year

Repeatedly messed up Payments

Apr 20, 2018 - Tutor
    Business Outlook

Pros

I like the flexibility and working with my students.

Cons

They are awful with payment. I've worked with them a year or so now. And had no issues. Recently, they sent all my checks to the wrong address. Then told me its because of my IPS account address and it was my fault. #1. It took several phone calls for someone to even tell me that there was a separate login for payroll THAN the current login I already had to a different site. #2. Paychecks prior to had always come to my correct address. And so I don't know how the sudden "switch" happened because I didn't adjust anything. Then I was informed that they couldnt reissue checks for two weeks FROM the payment date and that they couldn't stop payments. I explained that it was clear that the checks were sent to the wrong address. So please reissue checks. I was refused. Of course, since then I opted into direct deposit. I was told that it was active. But somehow they still managed to mail the previous check to the wrong address AGAIN. Mind you I am about 4 checks due at this point. I was told I would be paid direct deposit the following Tuesday. Was NOT paid. I was finally paid on Friday through direct deposit for ONLY ONE CHECK. I was then told me for some reason they could not pay me all my past due money owed for the past 3 weeks at once. I had to wait every week for the next check's payment. So now I am working on 4-6 weeks of late payments. My bills are late and late charges are being charged because I was depending on Varsity Tutors to honor and respect their tutors. My bad. Additionally, I was told there was NO DIRECT number to payroll, and that it was just her I could talk to. When I asked to speak to a supervisor who could issue all my payments at once since they were already weeks late, she said there was no one I could talk to her but her. So I just received another direct deposit that is shorted from the weeks prior to and I am almost positive I will not get a solution to this problem. I had a good run with Varsity and almost quit tutoring in the middle of a session with clients over this. I only continued as a commitment to my clients. Once that was complete, I have not taken anyone new this has been such an awful experience. I have no idea if they are strapped for cash or taking the money where they are supposed to pay tutors and redirecting it somewhere else. This is one of the worst payment experiences I have had with a company. It's too bad because before all this I was pleased. I even reached out to them on Twitter and no response.

Continue reading
    7 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great to work with!

Jul 2, 2021 - Academic Tutor in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Business Outlook

Pros

flexible hours, easy to contact, good pay

Cons

sometimes there are little opportunities, no pay increases

5 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    KEY NOT FOUND: jobLine.per_diem-current

Amazing Platform for Tutors!

Sep 16, 2021 - Tutor in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can accept or decline offers to tutor in many subjects

Cons

There are not any cons

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Varsity Tutors.