Varsity Tutors - One of the most rewarding and engaging positions I have ever had | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Varsity Tutors

"One of the most rewarding and engaging positions I have ever had"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One thing employees realize on our team is that a position with Varsity Tutors is not just a job, but an opportunity to impact students and parents looking for academic help. The synergy of all employees, regardless of where they are located and what their position is, reflects in the open communication and meaningful dialogue that is shared everyday amongst everyone. Since becoming a part of the team, I have met bright, talented and passionate employees that make up our team and I'm amazed daily on how much we all have the passion to make a difference!

Along with our great team and exciting things we are creating to make a difference in the education landscape, we are movers and shakers!

Cons

There are a lot of hours put in on a daily basis, but the benefits of working from home, engaging daily with other Directors through Skype, and having the availability to technology for home/work-use use offsets it. Plus, when you enjoy your job so much, you don't realize how fast time flies!

Advice to Management

Continue to be innovative, cutting-edge, and involved with education. Also, continue to be communicate laterally with all directors across all teams. It's a quality that I, along with many others, appreciate tremendously.

Other Employee Reviews for Varsity Tutors

"I love my job!"

Current Employee - City-Wide Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - City-Wide Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working from home is one of the best perks, but even more important are my fantastic coworkers and supervisors. Not only do I love my job, but I feel good about what I do--for me, there's nothing more important than helping students succeed.

Cons

The hours can be a bit long, but since I work from home it's not that bad. There is less face-to-face interaction, but we Skype with each other all day so it feels like I'm working right next to my coworkers!

Varsity Tutors Response

Jul 13, 2015 – Vice President of Marketing

Thanks for the review!

"Avoid"

Current Employee - Tutor in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Tutor in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at Varsity Tutors part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-no physical office, so you don't report to work.
    -you are on a email list with a bunch of other tutors.
    -when a client's child needs tutor, you respond, and director makes a pick

Cons

-drama behind the scene on who gets picked
    -The director plays favoritism
    -puts every tutor on website to advertise company
    -I live in Piscataway, assigned client 30 miles away, Chester NJ
    -asked for local client, director got pissed, removed me from email list, put me as "inactive" tutor

Advice to Management

Hire competent directors, not a laid-off high school teacher. You get what you paid.