Varsity Tutors - Horrible company that takes advantage of it's 'independent contractors' that do all the work. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Varsity Tutors

"Horrible company that takes advantage of it's 'independent contractors' that do all the work."

Former Contractor - Tutor in New York, NY
Former Contractor - Tutor in New York, NY

I worked at Varsity Tutors as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

This was a horrible experience.

Cons

Unfortunately their pay and the contract they make you sign as an 'independent contractor' is extremely unfair and takes advantage of their employees. They pay their employees a small fraction of what they charge the client.

Advice to Management

The company needs to reconsider compensation and treatment of employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Varsity Tutors

"This company was not a bad one to work for, but there is minimal support and quite a bit of disorganization."

Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Varsity Tutors part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of independence, easy work, and reasonable hourly pay if you can work out your schedule

Cons

The company goes through a lot of growing pains and can be disorganized, which often falls onto its employees. The schedule is also not as flexible as one might think, with an expected availability that is above and beyond 'full time'.

Advice to Management

Support your recruiters, and consider the hours you require versus the pay you provide.

"Fantastic company to work for"

Current Employee - Associate Director of Recruitment in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Associate Director of Recruitment in Denver, CO

I have been working at Varsity Tutors full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home, wonderful co-workers, extremely supportive and helpful management, flexible schedule. There seems to be room for growth within the company, and I plan on staying on long term. I also very strongly believe in the mission of VT, and appreciate the high standards we have for our services. Overall, thankful to work with such a great company!

Cons

Long hours (everyone works at least 50 hrs/week), lower pay than desired. When offered the job, I was so excited to accept that I didn't stop to think about the salary they offered me, or make a counter offer. That was a mistake, because I know I was offered the very minimum, and will now spend a long time making up for it. Divided by the number of hours I work, my salary is really not great.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I appreciate feeling like the door is always open to ask for help or make suggestions. I feel like my work is appreciated, and I appreciate all that you do on behalf of students!