Verizon - ok place to work | Glassdoor

"ok place to work"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Reading, England (UK)
Former Employee - Account Manager in Reading, England (UK)

Pros

Large company with oppertunities if you are prepared to relocate

Cons

Outside of the US the international arm of the Org has limited promotion prospects

Advice to Management

listen to your employees on the ground they have the best feeling for what the customer needs and areas for improvement.

Other Employee Reviews for Verizon

1. "Compensation and FiOS make Verizon a workplace worthy of strong consideration for the time-being"

Current Employee - Splicing Technician
    Current Employee - Splicing Technician

Pros

Compensation and new FiOS Internet & TV technology. The overall compensation is still competitive and beats some employers. In the geographic areas where FiOS is provided and planned, Verizon 'feels' like a real force that could successfully survive the tough economy. In non-FiOS areas with prevalent DSL availability that appears somewhat true as well.

Cons

Continual restructuring can impact perceived job security for low- to mid-level management. In non-FiOS areas, even some with DSL available, the future feels more uncertain with regard to selling off parts someday.

Advice to Management

Improve customer service - FiOS is usually highly rated in consumer publications, but copper telephone service and DSL customer experiences are less favorable, and more open to competitors for internet hookups. Improve front-line employee and supervisory support &/or training on FiOS.

"Not who they used to be."

Former Employee - Senior Staff Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Consultant

Pros

The pay and the benefits are relatively good for the industry. Verizon has been very flexible in work - as long as you did your job well, the hours need not be set. My management was always understanding of a work/life balance. There was always flexibility to telecommute.

I've worked in a few different business units of the company and have been lucky in getting caring, family-focused, friendly management. There will always be a few "bad apples" but, for the most part, I enjoyed my peers and my management. I always felt part of a family - albeit a disfunctional one.

Cons

I first began with GTE, which was always family-focused, friendly, and a lot of fun. When the merger with BellAtlantic created Verizon, things began to change. Rediculous cost-cutting measures were put in place - removing the third light bulb in overhead lights, no more coffee, building cleaning and maintenance drastically reduced - all in a misplaced effort to save a few dollars. In the end, they gained longer coffee breaks, unhappy enployees working in the dark, and dirty buildings. Then there are the constant layoffs. Every quarter employees look forward to the next cut and the lucky ones who stay behond get to work more for the same amount. Then we get to hear the illustruous senior management, enjoying their multimillion dollar incomes, tell us it isn't over - more layoffs to come.

Advice to Management

Remember the non-union management - they work hard to help Verizon succeed yet always are the ones getting laid off.