Verizon - The Company You Work at for a Lifetime | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Verizon

"The Company You Work at for a Lifetime"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Consultant in Irving, TX
Current Employee - Senior Staff Consultant in Irving, TX

I have been working at Verizon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing opportunity to move around, move up, and truly manage your own career. This is a company that is really in the midst of transformation; things are changing for the better and if you are willing to jump in and roll up your sleeves, there's really no end to what you can achieve.

Cons

Pretty much the normal large corporation issues... Pettiness from poor managers, bureaucracy, etc. but this is what you find anywhere.

Advice to Management

Keep shooting for iconic tech company status. Things are starting to improve in really amazing ways. I came to work for VZ because of our foundation of ethics and integrity, ad that has ever faltered fora a second.

Other Employee Reviews for Verizon

"There is no such thing as "work life balance" just work balance"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Verizon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is good as long as you dont mind not doing anyting but work, dont plan on seeing your family

Cons

70 Hour work weeks, Management doesnt give a cr** about their employees expect to get calls at 8pm because your manager wants to help you edit the comments on your time sheet.
    Manager didnt have a problem calling me a liar on a conference call with clients, and generally
    put me down. Manager was derisive, and made several of my coworkers upset to the point
    of breaking down. He was one of the "successfull" managers under a "successful" director.
    You get the idea

Advice to Management

Where do I start?

"For 15 years I have been told that my office will be closing soon due to declining call volumes."

Current Employee - Operator Directory Assistance in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Operator Directory Assistance in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Verizon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good medical, dental and vision benefits at a below average price. Tuition assistance of $8k per year. Ample vacation time, sick days, medical and personal leave.

Cons

A lot of changes in the last few years in directory assistance. We must meet a strict 23 second average customer serving time, this does not allow us to provide good customer service to elderly, confused, etc customers. We must be plugged in and taking calls all day, no exceptions for phone calls from doctors offices, mechanics, day care or other Mon-Fri daytime routine calls. If we do decide to unplug to take an important call it is held against our daily "adherence" to being plugged in, which allows approx 7 minutes per full day worked for restroom visits, blowing your nose, sneezing etc. If we do not meet the 23 second average call time or we are observed helping an elderly customer or not meeting our 7 minute daily adherence we are rated Does Not Meet job requirements. No matter what a great operator you are, upbeat, friendly, patient, if you don't meet those numbers your job is in jeopardy and you will be placed on a Performance Improvement Plan, which starts with a warning, then a short suspension, then a long suspension, then termination. We are basically expected to be robots with no feeling, emotion or compassion, but we must keep a friendly voice quality all the while, it often comes off as sarcastic. We are also not allowed to have job aids at our positions, so although we must use verbatim statements to hundreds of customer requests that change frequently, we have to memorize them, which is impossible. Also, there has been a huge budget crunch in last 3 years or so, we have limited office supplies, often no paper or ink to print our own paychecks, which we are required to receive digitally. Time offline spent with direct manager limited to 15 minutes per month.

Advice to Management

Budget crunches have seriously impacted morale and employee engagement. We are not robots. We are told to leave our problems/emotions at home, that is impractical, we are human.