Verizon - Good company to work for with my limited experience as a young new hire in IT | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Verizon

"Good company to work for with my limited experience as a young new hire in IT"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Verizon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a great place in the market & is one of the biggest around. Lots of areas of the business to become involved with to fit your interests as an employee.

Cons

In IT, I see lots of jobs being outsourced & domestic employees who have been working for the company 30+ years being laid off. Makes me uncertain about long-term employment here.

Other Employee Reviews for Verizon

1. "A great starting point"

Current Employee - Technical Specialist
    Current Employee - Technical Specialist

I have been working at Verizon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company offers amazing benefits and tons of time off options. There are many job opportunities with the company all over the world. I have had some of the best supervisors while working here. Pay is great.

Cons

While I have had some of the best supervisors, I've had my fair share of nightmare bosses. I wonder how some of these people were promoted, let alone maintain their jobs. I originally started at another location, and the work-life balance and culture was above and beyond. After I transferred up North, I could clearly see major differences and areas that were significantly lacking in the new call center. As I watched the Director drive the place into the ground, we were all notified that our center is closing this May as part of downsizing.

The other con about this place is that they make upward mobility seem just within grasp. I cannot tell you how many times I have received a project, to only have the budget be removed and the entire thing cancelled. Not only that, but to provide management training in an area where they have not hired a new manager in over 5 years is absolutely ridiculous. It is clear how this company wants to run its business when they refuse to maintain consistency for their culture and values.

Advice to Management

Stop putting bumbling idiots in high management positions.

2. "Good place to learn but too much down time."

Former Contractor - Cable Splicer in Rockville, MD
    Former Contractor - Cable Splicer in Rockville, MD

I worked at Verizon as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Training is excellent and they still pay decent overtime.

Cons

Not enough direction and poorly managed. The union is in a weak position to help new employees. You are forced to join and pay dues.

Advice to Management

Wake up and smell the profits burning!