Verizon - Why I Left Verizon Wireless | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Verizon

"Why I Left Verizon Wireless"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, PA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, PA

Pros

The best reasons would be the industry itself, the cell phone industry is on the up and up, everyone wants one and the the amount of things we can do with cell phones now is far more than what we had to offer even 5 years ago. We can buy and sell, handle all of our office duties and watch TV on cell phones now. It is amazing how much the industry has grown and how much more it can grow.

Cons

Like many sales jobs, once you get really good at it, they dont want you to move on, especially in retail. I have found it harder for me to advance because I have done so well in my company.

Advice to Management

Think about the customers first and foremost.

Other Employee Reviews for Verizon

1. "Entertainment company? Not really."

Current Employee - Editor in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Editor in Ashburn, VA

Pros

Better paying than comparable journalism jobs. There's the potential for a large amount of traffic just based on the subscriber base.

Cons

Contractors are prevalent, yet treated as second-class citizens. Depending on the facility, contractors may be denied access to basic services that others can use, such as a mailbox, showers, etc. Jobwise, this is a phone company trying to be a media or entertainment company, and it is failing utterly. If you're coming here to work for Wireless you're in good shape. Otherwise, don't expect to get any funding or for your projects to be competently programmed. It's hard to be in this position for this company where they don't respect contractors, don't respect content, don't fund content and don't fix things that are broken.

Advice to Management

If you want to be an entertainment company, you have to be prepared to make some long-term decisions and not punt on something that doesn't turn a profit on Day One.

"Verizon would rather sell it than service it"

Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support Analyst in Garland, TX

Pros

Overall, benefits are very good except for the absence of sick leave. The employee share for the premium for individual medical and dental insurance is zero and the insurances have fairly low copays and deductibles. In addition to two weeks paid vacation, I get 7 personal days which ordinarily must be prescheduled and cannot be used to call in sick when I am ill.

Verizon appears to have little risk of going out of business or downsizing, except for traditional copper wire phone and Internet services.

Cons

Verizon is disrespectful toward customers and employees. The Communication Workers of America habitually ignores ongoing major and minor violations of CWA contracts. Working in a call center providing technical support for fiber optic phone, Internet and video services, I am repeatedly subjected to verbal abuse from customers over order issues, chronic repair problems, and Verizon's missed commitments for installations and repairs. Verizon requires me to be continuously on calls for all but two 15 minute breaks per 8 hour shift and expects me to "read" about one hundred emails per day but not while I am on calls. In 22 months on the job, I have had mandatory overtime except for about eight weeks total. Usually this is 10 hours per week. Right now I am working 5 hours mandatory overtime per week. Management is aware that the automated call response system enrages customers and customers often must hold for 45 to 60 minutes to speak to a human agent but chooses not to address this.

Advice to Management

I have never before encounterd the bullying from first level supervisors through Senior Management that goes on at Verizon. Many problems could be prevented or mitigated by addressing quality of service beginning with the sales and installation processes.