Verizon Wireless - Former contract attorney | Glassdoor

"Former contract attorney"

Current Contractor - Attorney, Digital Marketing and Media in Basking Ridge, NJ
Current Contractor - Attorney, Digital Marketing and Media in Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at Verizon Wireless as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Outstanding physical facilities, beautiful campus, excellent dining hall, fantastic co-workers (running out of adjectives!), a great place to be and to work.

Cons

Glacial pace of advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

The fear of increasing headcount should not be blinding the company to its day to day needs. Hiring contractor after contractor to fill the same role due to ongoing work is less cost effective, decreases morale, and loses talent gratuitously.

Other Employee Reviews for Verizon Wireless

"Stressful, too much politics, and unrealistic expectations."

Current Contractor - Programmer Analyst in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Contractor - Programmer Analyst in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

- Great people work at VZW
    - New technologies, lots of projects and constant workflow
    - Telecommuting is available
    - Somewhat flexible hours

Cons

- Stressful
    - Everything is politics, if you want help then you have to go through the proper channels. Even when you try to do that you get discouraged because everyone is too busy to help you. You have to CC your manager to get anything done. The chain of command is ridiculous. If a junior needs to get into contact with a senior level member, then good luck on that.
    - They segregate the contractors from the employees. (Done in a lot of places)
    - You're expected to work overtime and not get payed. I was told to only do overtime if approved by the manager, but no matter how many times I ask him, he either ignores my question or changes the subject. The next day, if you don't do the overtime, he'll ask why you didn't get the job done.
    - Contractors are treated on an even lower level than juniors. I take orders from a junior who knows much less about what he's doing.
    - The seniors here are just stupid half the time. I constantly have to help them, do the work for them, or actually explain coding practices that are basic knowledge.
    - Even if your team earns a reward for all the hard work done, the manager only takes out the full time employees as a reward/celebration.
    - No matter how much quality work you contribute, you're still treated less than the members who contribute sloppy, poor, or just barely working code.
    - I asked to be hired and was told that I had to meet expectations that none of the other team members were even remotely close to meeting, including seniors.
    - You can only work from home as a contractor if you have a "special reason", full time employees can work from home whenever they want.
    - You ask for time off and your constantly asked to push it further and further back because it conflicts with another member, however when you push it and a full time member decides to leave the same time you did later, you're asked to push it back even further.

Advice to Management

Get more organized! This is the worst management I have ever seen. Also, treat your employees better, they're people not puppets that you can use and abuse to make your stats look good.
    There's almost no incentive to do anything at this job, people produce bad work, and people who don't deserve to be senior's become senior's. You could easily fix this by better scrutinizing, better teamwork, and better organization. Stop rushing everything and slow down a bit and you'll produce better, stable code and have happier employees.

2. "Worked with an excellent support staff which made the job bareable."

Former Employee - Technician in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Technician in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was competitive. A job where you can make enough money to support a family. Good benefits. Opportunity for financial support of your education.

Cons

Very focused on making sales. Stayed open even inclement weather.