Verizon Wireless - Challenging yet rewarding | Glassdoor

"Challenging yet rewarding"

Former Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Marina del Rey, CA
Former Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Marina del Rey, CA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you work hard you get paid well as a salesperson

Cons

Micromanagement and frustrating management always trying to pressure you to pressure customers.

Advice to Management

Reward employees for their hard work and work to treat employees as individuals and not as numbers.

Other Employee Reviews for Verizon Wireless

1. "Great Benefits and Pay"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Company to work for. It's one of the more stable companies to work for. Pay, benefits, 401k, tuition reimbursement, advancement opportunities. Management staff is awesome. Training is one of the best and they actually work with you on everything.

Cons

Crazy hours, Company Change continuously that you have to get used to on a monthly basis.

"It's basically middle school. Customer Service Representative."

Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Senior Customer Service Representative

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I won't lie, the company is a great company to work for...great benefits, great pay, 401k, bonuses, incentives, etc. Lots of reasons to want to work there. And you build a great camaraderie with your fellow employees. You really do become great at helping one another, because you know how much you appreciate being helped...and you WILL need to ask for help from time to time...some calls can be outlandishly crazy.

Cons

Pretty much everything else. There are some great supervisors there, BUT, the majority of them are hired based on performance...which, sure, that's how it should be...right? WRONG. Because at Verizon Wireless, just because someone performs well on the phones, does NOT mean they will make a good supervisor. More often than not, I always knew WAY MORE information than my supervisor. Not to mention, only about 5% of the entire COMPANY knows how to use spell-check. The e-mails they send out EVERY SINGLE DAY, 50 TIMES A DAY are DREADFUL to read if you're even a slightly competent reader/speller. It's embarrassing and I'll be honest, it makes the company look illiterate. Management really does pretend to try to work with you, however, their motto is "embrace change." Sounds fantastic, right? Makes sense. BUT, the problem is they make CHANGES without TELLING you, and then you end up finding out something changed AFTER you've already been evaluated for your 6 or 12 month performance reviews. I always had great reviews, so I didn't complain as much as I should have, but it was enough to get under my skin. The inconsistencies within the training department, the inability to keep employees up to date, and the overall function of the center are enough to make you want to rip your hair out.

The biggest con, however, is of course the customers. It's expected. Duh...who would take this job expecting NOT to talk to angry customers, right? Well, let me tell you...I very, very rarely got super-angry customers, and when I did, I was able to calm them very quickly...so it never got out of hand for me, but that doesn't mean it makes it pleasant. I'm not someone who cries...ever. But, after 4 years at this job, I would cry in the mornings before work, during breaks, during my lunch, and at night when I went home, because I knew I had to go back the next day. All the benefits, and wonderful things I mentioned in the PROS category? They HAVE to provide those things, because no one would put up with working in this department if they DIDN'T provide them.

Advice to Management

Understand that spell-check is there for you. Learn how to use it, I promise it will add to your credibility. Take a course on how to communicate and interact with employees at a lower level. STUDY, STUDY, STUDY so that when you're asked a question, you don't have to send them all over the building looking for someone who DOES know the answer, or at least someone who knows how to find it. Remember what it was like for YOU to be on the phones and take that into consideration when your employees come to you on the verge of a mental breakdown because NO ONE, and I do mean NO ONE, is strong enough to withstand the verbal abuse customer service reps receive every single day, day in and day out. Even the strong ones break, I've seen it happen. Learn to communicate with the big dogs. Get on the same page. Productivity does not stem from chaos. Stop treating employees like they're 12 years old. Stop making them clap and make parades around the call center wearing silly hats. Stop making them ring cow bells every time they save a customer from disconnecting. Learn how to reach your EMPLOYEES who are almost all collectively over 18! I literally felt like I was going to middle school every day...NOT to a job.