Verizon Wireless - Got worse over time | Glassdoor

"Got worse over time"

Former Employee - Business Account Executive in Cleveland, OH
Former Employee - Business Account Executive in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Verizon has a very strong sales culture and long history of performance excellence. You will not have trouble competing in the marketplace with the quality of service they provide. The tools I was provided were also top notch.

Cons

I worked at Verizon for 7 years and every year the compensation plans were changed but never for the better. They had a 300% cap on target commission, which capped earning potential.

Also, like many large corporations, there is a major disconnect from the front line sales associates and middle/upper management. In my particular market, they simply wanted "yes men" and discouraged voicing market trends/concerns.

Advice to Management

Capping commission at 300% creates a culture of "sand bagging" and limits the potential productivity of your sales associates. Why would you ever want a rep to stop selling because they reached their monthly max??

Other Employee Reviews for Verizon Wireless

"My experience at VZW was overall a positive experience. Industry leader. Positive work environment. Good benefits/bonus"

Former Employee - Principal Architect in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Principal Architect in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

VZW is a stable company with opportunities for growth, good bonus program and really good people to work with. Benefit programs we very solid.

Cons

Challenges with teams working together. Based on your location can be hard to get promoted. Upper management has tendencies to ignore/disregard employee recommendations.

2. "Could Be Worse"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is job security. Work can be interesting. You can move around the company if you're motivated and want to learn.

Cons

Salary. It really hurts when you hear about how much money your company makes but they don't pass any of the profits on through wages. They pay lower than industry standards, at least for engineering, and for the last few years they've lowered the amount paid out for the company profit sharing portion of salaries. Also, they've upped the work load dramatically. The only reason I stay is because of the conditions of the current job market. They know the same fear is true for many employees and Verizon is leveraging this as much as possible. Lately they've been a very greedy company.

Advice to Management

Start paying attention to the yearly employee surveys. Oh, and when we all get together at company events, don't play Verizon motivational videos unless they're really good.