Verizon Wireless - Good pay and benefits. | Glassdoor

"Good pay and benefits."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Great bonus at the end of the year. Lots of time off available. Pretty flexible with scheduling. Most of the people you will work with are good, honest folks with a great sense of humor, and will make the job less of a chore.

Cons

Hard to move up or into a different department without "knowing the right people." Call center uses stack and rank which has been proven in countless corporations to be counter productive, and usually drives good employees away. (GM was the first to use stack and rank) Angry and ungrateful customers with too many first world problems to count.

Advice to Management

Work on career progression opportunities. You guys lose a lot of talent by not helping people get to where they want to be, or favoring other people that say all the right things but do all the wrong things.

Other Employee Reviews for Verizon Wireless

"7 years of hard work and loyal service means nothing to this company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits
    401k and company match
    Employee assistance program and other discounts.
    Tuition reimbursement

Cons

Retail: everything-hours, stress, poor upper management with unrealistic outlook on things, pay seems to go down, while goals get harder and harder to achieve.

Advice to Management

I would love to see the upper ranks of vzw work face to face with the customers in retail. Not for 10 minutes, or an hour. Get a real feel for it. Do it at least a week and see how your cattle...i mean, reps feel. Do what you say and put customers first, not your pockets. Give the people in retail the time off they have accumulated/earned/deserve. I was in retail for 7 years and miserable! I was constantly stressed and it was hard to take any time off (you only get 5 days of quota relief). 2 out of 3 employees started to take antidepressants/anxiety medicine after starting jobs in retail. In July I finally moved to a department that I LOVE and finally felt like I had a "normal, more routine" life. I spoke to my doctor and planned on coming off the anxiety meds because I didn't have the constant stress of retail. Then BOOM! We were rounded up to an offsite location and told earlier that they made the decision to close our call center and if I wanted to continue this position I could either move from pittsburgh to Columbus Ohio or Atalanta Georgia. This may seem like a reasonable option for some, but we had moved from Cleveland to Pitt for my husbands job (also with vzw). With a mortgage still in Cleveland (we rent the house) and now one in Pitt, moving isn't really an option. There were about 100 people in my call center and 900 in my neighboring centers (3 total)-all faced with the same options. Uproot your family and move, go to retail, or take the severance. My best friend AND her husband worked in the call center to support their family. Now, their futures are uncertain. Go figure that Dan Meade and Lowell McAdam gave themselves HUGE raises that take affect in March and were announced the day after we were told that they were closing our centers to consolidate real estate. "Verizon Communications Inc said it raised Chief Executive Lowell McAdam's base salary by about 7 percent and his long-term bonus to 750 percent of his base salary from 625 percent. McAdam's total compensation for 2012 was $14 million, with a base salary of $1.4 million,". A week later came the $130 BILLION dollar deal to buy their shares from Vodaphone. Just so disappointed. But hey, no hard feelings! It's a business decision!

2. "Good company to work for but very strict guidelines and evaluations"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment. Training is thorough and extensive to make sure you know the systems and product before you talk to the customer.

Cons

Strict weekly evaluations with little room for error from day one on the phones. Very stressful job and frequently yelled at by customer.