Verizon Wireless - Great Benefits But Integrity Is In A Downward Spiral ... Watch Your Back! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Verizon Wireless

"Great Benefits But Integrity Is In A Downward Spiral ... Watch Your Back!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

Pros

Overall, I would say that Verizon Wireless is a good company to work for considering the phenomenal benefits. They have many programs that are unheard of by other companies like backup child care, tuition assistance (NOT rembursement which requires you to pay up front and you don't have to stay with the company afterwards!), and even adoption assistance just to name a few. The pay is much better than what some outsiders would assume, the best in the industry in fact, but not as good as it used to be since they've changed the commission structure due to the economy change - but what company hasn't?!

Cons

1. Company sets IMPOSSIBLE goals for their employees. If you work in a high volume store like I do, then you'll quickly learn that the better your store does, the worst your paychecks will be. They repay your hard work and earning upper management HUGE bonuses by raising the sales goals so high that it is impossible to earn the larger sized checks you expect - unless you hop around to slower stores where you get a bigger paycheck for less work (Ridiculous!)

2. The Washington/Baltimore/Virginia region is extremely shady at times. This region works by its own more restrictive rules and if you don't know your rights, you will get screwed. The employee handbook should be your bible and dont be afraid to go to the main headquarters in NJ to get backup if necessary! Also, since there is no union, Verizon Wireless takes full advantage and have gotten away with doing illegal things like changing the attendance policy without notifying their employees as a means of power managing people out of positions. It's only a matter of time before a class action suit will be filed against them I'm sorry to say.

3. Promotions are based on who is friends with who and not necessarily who has earned it. Some people are managers who know absolutely NOTHING about the jobs of the people they manage. This makes it extremely frustrating when you rely on upper management for assistance and they are far less knowledgeable than you. Also, you will find that certain employees seem to get away with bloody murder and get special treatment or privileges just because they're chummy with upper management. This even filters down to decisions about who gets "power managed" out of the company.

4. Verizon made some bad decisions last year and its come back to bite them on the butt. While their compeitors were PROACTIVE to the economy (reducing price plans), Verizon chose to be REACTIVE, only restructuring unlimited and pre paid pricing after their revenue took a nose dive. So how do they REACT to slumping numbers? Not by going back to the drawing board to correct THEIR mistakes, but by giving their LOYAL employees the axe. Not only that, they go about it in a shady way (refer to #3). They even went as far as giving the unlucky few negative evaluations based on information that they cannot backup with any paperwork. For example, claiming that a customer service rep is not producing solid sales numbers when A) customer service reps were not responsibile for any type quota until they suddenly changed our job title & responsibilities without any notification prior to the evaluation B) there is no paperwork or documentation that can support this claim since customer service reps use one major house account to perform all transactions and not on an individual basis like a sales rep, and C) MANAGERS give undesireable transactions to customer service reps to avoid hurting sales reps numbers, thus damaging the house account numbers on which the evaluation was based.

Good employees are now working twice as hard as their counterparts to save a job that is virtually impossible to save, not based on actual performance, but on who is friends with who so Verizon can save money on severance pay. In the meantime, we are expected to work our butts off for a company that will eventually tell us to bend over and take it (for a lack of a better expression).

Advice to Management

This may seem like the ranting of an angry employee, but I am not angry. I have gained alot of work experience that have helped shaped my skills. Unfortunately for Verizon Wireless, those talents will benefit another company. Despite the issues I've mentioned, I still believe that Verizon Wireless is one of the better companies to work for but they are making bad decisions that are causing them to go in a downward spiral. If Verizon keeps going in this direction, they will continue to lose money, as well as the valuable employees that made the company so great to begin with. Treat your employees with respect and not the bottom of your shoe. We make you alot of money so stop threatening us and actually show your appreciation for accomplishments like you used to! You have given us more demands with less gratification to go with it! People who feel valued will work harder for you than employees that feel beaten down. Also, when making company decisions, get off your high horse and get input from the people who actually KNOW what's going on - the employees that actually are carrying out the decisions! You slow down your own progress by being out of touch with the customer facing employees and its starting to hit Verizon Wireless in the piggy bank!

Other Employee Reviews for Verizon Wireless

1. "Great company, if you don't mind being a "number.""

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

Pros

A company that I could stand behind & I believed in the services (still do) it had to offer to the consumer. Great benefits, lots of training, salary was average but equitable to others in the area.

Cons

Company loses sight of its "Integrity" credo, when it comes down to crunch time. In the business channel, they understand the medium to long process of the sales cycle to sm/med/large businesses, but I think their goals are becoming unrealistic in a market that is approaching saturation. Sell everything to everyone, even if they don't need it because YOU need those numbers in your module & we need the revenue...hardly "consultative" selling. There's no real vacation with the business sales position; no quota relief, capped commissions (ie. the opposite of "incentive"), not really being able/allowed to step out of the loop & recharge one's batteries. Granted, wireless is a 24/7/365 operation, but give the employees a real chance to come back refreshed instead of stressed. For the length of my career, I worked my tail off (long hours, sometimes weekends & holidays & vacations)...and I was successful at my job, but the cost was in not feeling like I had much of a life during that time. Yes, the time & effort that I spent was my choice, but it was frustrating to see other folks work half as hard, not do a good job, do only what they had to do and not take care of the customer, but still get rewarded purely based on numbers (ok, that's what sales is about...numbers, but I go back to "integrity."). The bean counters have too much say in how salespeople should be compensated, particularly when they've likely never sold a thing in their lives.

Advice to Management

Do performance reviews or don't; if the person next to me does 1/2 the job that I did and still gets the same raise that I did, how is that a fair evaluation? Reviews are meant to be an opportunity for constructive criticism and should be considered incentive to do a good job (in order to receive a raise). What incentive do people have to do their jobs well, when they know that...to "make it fair for the team"...they're going to get a raise no matter what. Reinstate quota relief & give your salespeople a break! They need it! They care about their customers & their jobs & their quotas, just let them remember "why" they're working so hard!

2. "Good Place To Work"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff

Pros

Verizon Wireless offers an excellent benefits package that includes profit sharing, 401k, medical, dental, vision, employee assistance, generous tuition reimbursement, flex spending, and matching charitable contributions. The paya is very competitive in the industry as well.

Cons

A lot of favoritism and politics when it comes to promotions.

Advice to Management

Constantly focus on employee development and assisting employees in balancing work and home life. Happy employees are productive employees.