Vermont Teddy Bear - Vermont Teddy Bear - A Sinking Ship | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Vermont Teddy Bear

"Vermont Teddy Bear - A Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

Pros

It is a fun place to work in the summer time since the company is not very busy. There is Bocce and BBQ's and the people who work here are generally good people who share common lifestyles and interests.

Cons

In the busy season (October-May) we are required to work longer hours even though there is no financial compensation for working extra time. It was implied that "turning the walls" (working in other departments such as the warehouse) would increase overall profits which would in turn end up in our year end bonuses. However, year end bonuses have been canceled so now we are required to work extra hours with no hope of financial compensation. For example, I worked 4, 17 hour days during Valentine's Day Peak, but was not compensated in any way.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs trust their employees, allow them or their managers to make decisions and end the system of micromanagement that has been in place here for so many years. We have lost a lot of good employees over the past few years, most of which have not been replaced. The fact that people are leaving should speak for itself. There is no promise of advancement and the pay scales aren't very good. A 2-5% wage increase is barely enough to cover cost of living increases which leaves employees in the same position they were in a year before their review. Increase wages, instill confidence and command respect or continue to lose qualified, hardworking employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Vermont Teddy Bear

"Love my job at VTB!"

Pros

The people are nice to each other here. I like feeling part of a company that brings happiness to the many visitors to the factory during the summer. BBQs, Bake-offs and Bocce Ball. I love it. The benefits package is standard but they do go the extra mile providing gym membership, free passes to a lot of stuff, good discounts for other Vermont companies and occasional give-aways. I think the politics is pretty minimal too.

Cons

We have been hit by the recession and the slow-down in retail because of it. So people had to be laid off and so good people are gone.

Advice to Management

Thank you for making announcements about changes happening here.

2. "Decent Seasonal part time work"

I worked at Vermont Teddy Bear part-time

Pros

Generally a good place. Nice coworkers.

Cons

Low pay. Boring work. Far from town.