Vermont Teddy Bear - Love my job at VTB! | Glassdoor

"Love my job at VTB!"

Pros

The people are nice to each other here. I like feeling part of a company that brings happiness to the many visitors to the factory during the summer. BBQs, Bake-offs and Bocce Ball. I love it. The benefits package is standard but they do go the extra mile providing gym membership, free passes to a lot of stuff, good discounts for other Vermont companies and occasional give-aways. I think the politics is pretty minimal too.

Cons

We have been hit by the recession and the slow-down in retail because of it. So people had to be laid off and so good people are gone.

Advice to Management

Thank you for making announcements about changes happening here.

Other Employee Reviews for Vermont Teddy Bear

1. "Seasonal Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Albans, VT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Albans, VT

I have been working at Vermont Teddy Bear full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Casual dress code

Cons

Drama, changes all the time

2. "Good and friendly people, middling pay, questionably-ethical business practices with customers"

Former Employee - Seasonal Call Center in Shelburne, VT
    Former Employee - Seasonal Call Center in Shelburne, VT

I worked at Vermont Teddy Bear (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly employees, warm smiles, gentle encouragement, etc. Flexible hours (you let them know when you're available in advance). Selling fluffy and whimsical joyous stuff like teddy bears and pajamas

Cons

Unethical (in my opinion) marketing and business practices. Stingy on returns/refund policies, resulting in upset customers and low morale. Boston-based investors have squeezed double the profits out of the company in recent years, but the staff that makes it happen doesn't see any of that money. High staff turnover due to simmering low morale (most competent folks find higher-paying jobs elsewhere). Increasing reliance on BDSM-based and adult "sexy" products, as opposed to their original fluffy and family-friendly wares... it's only a matter of time before they selling bears along with d*ldos. Mediocre employee salaries. Inadequate training. Treat seasonal workers like children with "fun games" and sales contests. Try to bribe increased morale by offering stingy prizes: a *chance* to win a $20 coffee card (1 card total for 20 employees over a 2-week period... what an embarrassing offer). Almost their entire business is selling Chinese-made crap at an obscene markup; only the original teddy bears are made in Vermont, but the larger bears, all paamas, and accessories are made overseas in who-knows-what-conditions. What most upset me was the deceptive marketing (sending out coupon codes that didn't exist, for example) and the advertising support of hateful, divisive (and un-Vermonty) radio programs like Rush Limbaugh.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better to please *them* instead of your investors. And stop scamming your customers.