Vertex Pharmaceuticals - Herding Cats | Glassdoor

"Herding Cats"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Finance in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Senior Manager, Finance in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people.
Exciting science.
Real want to delivery high impact medicine.

Cons

23 years of politics and no net income.
Pre-meetings to discuss what you're going to discuss in the next meeting.
Constant cow dung.

Other Employee Reviews for Vertex Pharmaceuticals

"Ethical, warm company-however, employees overworked"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Cambridge, MA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

-Really warm environment. As a small pharma (2000 people) company, people are genuinely nice! And friends outside of work.
    -Ethical: Vertex cares about doing the right thing, and I saw among management, a lot of times decisions seemed stagnated, because everyone was allowed to weigh in, and the managers cared what employees thought and wanted. And also, same thing for the patients.
    -Good benefits (everyone starts out with 4 weeks vacation!), pay is decent (although I hear, lower than big pharma obviously). I'm not sure depending on your dept, if people actually will take their full vacation times, but my dept def. encouraged us to take vacation, and I knew based on trying to schedule meetings with other people, it seemed like people were out of office constantly.
    -Promotions: I was there under a year, but I know during my time there and after I left, I constantly saw good people getting rightly promoted. I was glad for them, and had I stayed, I think I could have reaped this reward.

Cons

-Employees seemed constantly overworked- including me. I would come in earlier and earlier as time went on.. just to get things done. Getting in at 7:30 became 7:00 became 6:30 am. And even coming in at say, 7:00 am, lots of people were already there or were arriving! And unlike at other places, the 7 am crew did not leave at 3 pm.. they stayed until 5 pm or later. Vertex operates pretty lean, and that is one con that did heavily impact me and consequently became the reason I left.
    -Lots of temps: unfortunately Vertex likes to hire a ton of temps (not just for admin roles but scientist roles). I disliked this, because as a temp myself, it felt very unstable for me, and I didn't get the same benefits as everyone else.
    -Too many meetings. I noticed compared to other places I worked at, Vertex is extremely meeting heavy, and it wastes a lot of everyone's time!

2. "Great Company"

Pros

Highly motivated energetic workforce made Vertex a lot of fun to work. Everyone seemed very passionate about what they do, which keeps everyone engaged.

Cons

Upper management had difficultly communicating vision and often rely on external expertise from consultants or new hires vs. hiring/promoting from within the organization.

Advice to Management

Have a clear vision for your group. Get input from your direct report vs. relying on external expertise.