Vertex Pharmaceuticals - As an Intern | Glassdoor

"As an Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great internship program, was able to work on a variety of projects and thus learn about the scientific aspects of the field as well as the regulatory and operational aspects. Generous benefits even for inters including enrichment opportunities, and free T passes

Cons

Difficult to translate internship into full-time job. Internships typically done while in school, but employment in fields in which the internships are offered require 3-5 years of experience for the entry level positions.

Other Employee Reviews for Vertex Pharmaceuticals

"Fantastic first job which grew stale due to to their direction of research"

Former Employee - Research Scientist I in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Research Scientist I in San Diego, CA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Back in 2006 when I first joined the site in San Diego, Vertex was a special place. Scientists were excited about their work and one could sense the enthusiasm at project team meetings. Personally, I had a great experience my first 6 years there. The work-life balance is great, but it does depend on your group dynamics. And from what I've observed, the benefits are right up there at par with the best companies.

Cons

Vertex has experienced an immense growth phase due to the success of 2 marketed drugs. As a result, the bureaucracy has increased to a ridiculous amount. The values of the company have had to shift due to being a publicly traded company. There is nothing really exciting behind the CF drugs, so if they don't continue to work in the clinic, I smell trouble for the company.

"Much to be learned"

Current Employee - Clinical Trials Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Clinical Trials Associate in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Some nice co-workers, Time off, compensation

Cons

Your experience and growth completely depends on what project you are on and the individuals involved. Clinical line management is completely unprofessional and untrained. Line management does not support employees when the facts are present if the concern comes from a higher position. Line management discloses confidential information to other employees

Advice to Management

Take training to truly understand your position, have integrity, support your employees when the truth is present, do not exalt your favorite reports as it creates a negative environment.