VerticalResponse - My favorite job and favorite employer. Ever. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for VerticalResponse

"My favorite job and favorite employer. Ever."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at VerticalResponse full-time

Pros

#1 reason to work at VerticalResponse: the culture. VR has a ridiculous knack for hiring hard-working, smart, interesting, friendly people, and as an organization it goes out of its way to foster a cooperative and fun atmosphere. People at VR are generally friends, and we actually spend time together socially outside of work. A lot.

Also, VR has a solid record of encouraging its employees to develop their careers, and as a result a fairly high number of employees are promoted to new positions and departments. I think that's also a reflection of a general openness to change; I've seen entire departments restructured when needed (with good results), and a pro-active dialog between the senior management and the entire company to find possibilities for improvement.

Cons

Like any company, VR has its share of headaches. However, the senior management has also been able to take constructive criticism from the employees and make some fairly significant changes to improve things for everyone. The bottom line is that I've seen a lot of positive and negative aspects in my time at VR, but I still look forward to coming to work every day.

Advice to Management

Keep your open-door policy, and keep encouraging direct feedback from everyone.

Other Employee Reviews for VerticalResponse

1. "Couldn't ask for more."

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at VerticalResponse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A VP of Eng that _makes sense_
    profitable business model (hey if you want to hunt for a job every 24 months when VC money runs out be my guest!)
    Department heads that listen to suggestions and either act on them or tell you why they were ruled out
    The company really does set you up to be successful, I have never seen a company for real promote from within like VR. They will ink that deal people!
    Good office location, good food, jovial enviornment, quarterly chair massages, the list really does go on
    The company is very nice to non-profits, in turn they help good causes to get their message out and take action!
    You will be busy, if you do well with loads going on, this is a good place for you!
    The company is also very charitable and will match employee donations.

Cons

The space is competitive, so expect to hear news about the other guy in your space every now and again
    There's loads going on, if you need to chillax at your desk for a good chunk of time each day... rethink it.

Advice to Management

I have rarely said this... our management is great!

"look elsewhere for a better career and more productive and fun workplace"

Former Employee - Technical in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Technical in San Francisco, CA

I worked at VerticalResponse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, good benefits, well-stocked beer fridges and occasional fun offsite events.

Cons

Way too many managers, who spend all day in meetings and pushing around paperwork. Poor communication all around, tons of micromanagement. Incredibly risk-averse technical management to the point of being stifling. Every decision requires meeting after meeting and escalation to someone else. Sloppy work is rampant with little emphasis on quality.

Pay raises and promotions can be impossible to come by, if not delayed for months or years, and the pay is not competitive to begin with. HR is completely clueless when it comes to managing tech workers, and move at glacial pace. With all the perks and high pay being offered elsewhere, VR is going to lose smart people like crazy.