VerticalResponse - VR has treated me well | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for VerticalResponse

"VR has treated me well"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at VerticalResponse full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, interesting people. A good work environment.

Cons

I've seen some people have bad experiences.

Other Employee Reviews for VerticalResponse

1. "Exciting Work Environment With People You Want To Work For/With"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at VerticalResponse full-time

Pros

-Superb environment with great office demeanor
    -Good camaraderie within departments and in inter-department relations (relative to the rest of the corporate world)
    -Managers do a good job of not domineering
    -Respect shown amongst all peers from the bottom to the top of the totem pole and frankly, its difficult to tell there is a totem pole at times

Cons

-Sub-par pay compensation
    -Constantly correlate employee's tasks and projects with the overarching company goals and mission to show meaning and value behind what they do when it cannot always be directly seen
    -Empower employees!

Advice to Management

Empower your employees! Trickle down delegation does little. You have such bright talent that should be doing your job for you by brainstorming strategies/projects that they themselves will be tasked with implementing anyways. Take, what you probably perceive to be, a leap of faith with what/who you've got in front of you. Only then can you truly be an unparagoned company in your industry.

"Awesome people, bad management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at VerticalResponse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone I work directly with is lovely. Some of my best friends in the city are co-workers. The environment is laid back, and if you're under the right manager, you will be encouraged to learn new things and develop your career. I really appreciate that I don't have to dress up fancy to go to work, and of course no one can complain about all day access to free wine and beer. The parties, of course, are awesome.

Cons

I'm making well below market value of my job position, probably because I was gleaned from tech support. They were able to justify paying me at least $15K below the going rate for someone in my field because of this, I suppose.

Top management doesn't seem to listen to, (or seek the knowledge of?), employee expertise. The marketing team is constantly pushing stuff out the door before it's ready, meaning that we give customers a poor experience because someone wanted to be able to check off a goal on their quarterly report.

Department heads really need to learn how to play nice with each other and work collaboratively.

Advice to Management

Stop making ill-informed unilateral decisions. You pay your employees to be experts in their field, so trust that they know their fields better than you. Top management micromanages things they don't understand, and I think that's why so many key players at the company have dropped like flies in the past year.

Additionally, pay is not competitive. Yes, we all love having beer at work and fun parties, but I'd rather have a job that doesn't pay me below market wage. Maybe the booze money could go elsewhere.