Veson Nautical - I enjoy working with some of the smartest, and most enjoyable people you could find | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Veson Nautical

"I enjoy working with some of the smartest, and most enjoyable people you could find"

I have been working at Veson Nautical full-time

Pros

-You will never be bored
-You will never say "is it 5 yet?"
-You will constantly be challenged
-Employees are extremely autonomous
-You are rewarded for your heard work
-Your accomplishments are noticed
-Everyone is very flexible. There is a huge focus on work+life balance
-Benefits are great
-Catered lunch two days a week + a fully stocked kitchen
-Free liquor and beer after 5PM (or when you are done working, of course)
-There are a ton of opportunities to do more than your normal job description

Cons

-The only con (which is also an extreme positive) is that the company is growing so fast that everyone has a lot of work to do.

-Veson is a very fast-paced environment and a lot is expected out of everyone. If you enjoy being challenged and have a good work ethic then you will do fine here.

Advice to Management

-Thanks for fostering an environment where I am constantly learning from some of the smartest people I have ever met!

Other Employee Reviews for Veson Nautical

"Long hours culture and poor work life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Nice offices, and friendly people. Free snacks and free lunch on Friday. Colleagues are helpful. Product training is ok but complex.

Cons

Long hours culture where leaving on time is discouraged by management. Most staff work very long hours. Staff morale is low with high sickness and high staff turnover. Everything is Boston centric with poor communication between offices.

Advice to Management

Cut the hours - 35 hours contracted but reality is more like 45-70 hours a week. Management should be flexible and not so old fashioned about working practises. Keep the promises you make to people.

Veson Nautical Response

Jun 8, 2016 – HR Associate

Thank you for taking the time to share your honest feedback. We value all feedback and try to use these comments to implement change. We’d like to take some time to address your specific concerns... More

"Well run small company with excellent benefits, fair pay, solid product and top-tier customer base"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Veson is a successful software company operating in a premier office space in Back Bay Boston, and offering employees market pay and excellent benefits like a 401K with company contribution, nearly super inexpensive medical and dental insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield, with a Health Reimbursement account that pays for the medical deduction, and a FSA for dental deduction), 3 weeks vacation right off the bat (increasing after 3 years to 4 weeks), paid lunches, a transportation subsidy, and much more.

The company has won the business of most of the top companies in its space, and this provides us instant credibility when we contact other companies. Veson has achieved this success by 1) building a solid product that addresses a variety of needs in the maritime space, 2) hiring consultants who excel at product knowledge, the maritime industry knowledge and on how to run an implementation project successfully and 3) placing an incredible amount of emphasis on post implementation customer support to keep customers happy.

Management is generally supportive of its employees and takes a long view on their development. Because its challenging to find people with maritime experience, the company invests in training new hires on the industry and in the product. My training lasted several months, and the company was quite patient as I came up to speed on the product. It's employees are generally top-notch, bright and committed individuals and I enjoy working with them.

The management team from the Chief Operating Officer down are always available and ready to listen to ideas and issues. Their management style is collaborative. Also indicative of their investment in employees, unlike the last two small software companies I worked at, which outsourced HR and had a terrible relationship with its employees, Veson has set up a top notch HR department, that works hard to ensure employees' needs are addressed.

I've worked in a number of software companies and this is the most fiscally conservatively run small software company I've every seen. This means that the company is financially stable, free of debt and of investors setting unrealistic growth goals. Because of this, when annual financial results are good, the company grows moderately and when the results are not as good, the company takes the long view and maintains their employee base.

In summary, Veson Nautical is the best small software company I've worked at, compared to the other 5 software companies I've worked for in my career.

Cons

The company is run quite lean, and sometimes employees are left to figure things out on their own and make things happen using their own creativity. This can offer a great opportunity to develop skills but can also be uncomfortable for less experienced employees. The alternative is to overhire but this is counter to the company's financially conservative approach.

It also hires a lot of young employees just getting started in their careers. Some are very mature and talented, but some of the less mature ones can gripe of being overworked, thus some of the reviews you see here.

There is a mixed message about working from home. I've been told the company discourages it but some managers seem to often work from home.

Advice to Management

Hire employees in the middle of their career or later.

Once you've built some trust with your employees, allow them to work from home.

Spend more on marketing. We have so much to crow about but you don't take advantage of it. We are our own best secret.

Veson Nautical Response

Sep 6, 2016 – HR Associate

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We appreciate the time you took to write such a thoughtful and detailed review. And, we’re thrilled to see you’re having a positive experience at Veson Nautical... More