Viacom Media Networks - Fun, diverse atmosphere, but slightly bored | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Viacom Media Networks

"Fun, diverse atmosphere, but slightly bored"

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY
Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY

Pros

While interning at MTV, I was able to gain a lot of experience in my department. The people were very nice. The lounge is nice but definitely nothing to call home about. The environment feels very diverse and welcoming. I was able to meet with my intern supervisor on a daily basis to ask questions and receive feedback on my performance. I met some great people at MTV. Best of all, this internship looks GREAT on a resume.

Cons

I wish interns had the opportunity to rotate to other departments to learn more and increase networking opportunities. I never really got the chance to meet other interns as the place is huge. I was often bored with nothing to do even after requesting work.

Advice to Management

I can't speak as a paid employee, but as an intern, I would recommend increasing networking opportunities/events for interns.

Other Employee Reviews for Viacom Media Networks

1. "Good experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

There is a very laid back culture at MTV and the people are very nice. Lots of perks to the job, and the hours aren't too bad.

Cons

The pay is not as good as you would get at some other media and entertainment companies. I would look elsewhere if you want to get paid the big bucks.

Advice to Management

Give more feedback to employees. Do perfromance reviews more often. I found that a lot of employees were unsure of where they stood.

"Great place to work, but..."

Current Employee - Director of Technology in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director of Technology in New York, NY

Pros

Great benefits and flexibility of schedules, ability to work remotely if needed. Hands off management (good and bad). Priority is getting the work done, not how you do it.

Cons

Management are generally clueless about hiring good people, and even worse about promoting those who do not deserve it. The culture typically (and not intentionally) rewards incompetence, meaning those who get promoted are generally employees whom the company is dissatisfied with in their current role. Those who do a good job are typically the last to get rewarded. Also, I think the company is very divided in that they want to do good by society, and they make real effort with outreach and internal HR efforts, but they are also partially responsible for the destruction of culture in this country with their programming, so naturally, wheteher conscious or not, there is an internal struggle.

Advice to Management

Management clearly needs to better tap into the day-to-day goings-on of their employees. Too many people spend way too much time on facebook, and those are the types who typically get promoted (the ones with not enough to do). Those who are to busy with their jobs are generally overlooked. Kind of a shame.